Broken tibia. Cast is suddenly tighter than before from swelling, not sure if I should be worried

Posted , 3 users are following.

I broke my tibia last Thursday (5 days ago). I was put in a long leg cast up to mid thigh. It's my first time breaking anything so it is extremely new to me and uncomfortable. The cast felt as though it was loosening slightly the last day and a half and now since last night it is very very tight. I'm assuming my leg is swollen underneath. I've been keeping it elevated and trying to get up as little as possible except for the bathroom and to go to the kitchen. Now it hurts like crap to put my leg down (it did before as well, but now even more). I took 3 motrin about 3 hours ago and it doesn't seem to have helped any. Is this okay? I'm really paranoid my circulation is being cut off or something. My toes are a little numb as well, just the tops, but I have been moving them around frequently. Please reply with any thoughts or advice.  

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

How about color and temp of your toes? Mottled? Cooler than usual? Can you feel pulse in your foot? If cast feels tighter, you probably have increased edema (swelling). I would suggest ER and physician. You might need cast removed and new replacement.
    • Posted

I can't reach far enough with this cast on to feel my toes sad they are normal colored until I get up and they turn dark red. I called my doctor, they said to go to urgent care at their clinic and then he's transferring me to an ortho that specializes in tibial fractures. So we'll see how it goes I guess!

• Posted

I would absolutely call your doctor and tell him/her what's going on.  I am convinced serious damage can result from a too-tight cast.  Seems like numbness should be a red flag as well as pain.

Good luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.