IBS?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 57 and never had any tummy or bowel problems so when I suddenly started having persistent diarrhoea 6 weeks ago I knew it wasn't normal for me. Had blood tests and having a sigmoidoscopy later today. My GP thinks it's probably IBS. Can this condition suddenly develop? I've never had trouble before.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

IBS can suddenly develop.  In February 2015, I was fine one day and the next morning I woke up with raging abdominal pain.  This progressed to  persistant constipation, nausea, back pain and loose stools. By mid May I had my IBS diagnosis.
  • Posted

Did they gave you any meds? If so you stay calm as you did everything on time and take your meds as directed you will be fine
    • Posted

I've not been prescribed any meds just been told to take Imodium when needed.

• Posted

Yes, it can develop that quickly. I have had IBS for nearly 5 years. I was absolutely fine then within a month I started to have persistent diarrhoea, which increased in frequency over the following 5 or 6 months. My GP referred me for an urgent colonoscopy ( I had all the “red” flags).  I had the colonoscopy  about 10 days after the referral. Fortunately it didn’t show any signs of cancer, so IBS was diagnosed. I am now mostly able to control and manage my symptoms by diet, but I do still get the occasional flare up. 

Jan

• Posted

Hi Jan, today I had a sigmoidoscopy today and Dr was happy with his examination. He did offer me a CT scan which he said would put my mind at rest but was very reassuring that all looked ok. My symptoms are slightly  improved which he said was good . Am I right in thinking there is no test to confirm IBS? May I ask how you manage yours?
    • Posted

Hi, there is no test to confirm IBS, basically they rule other things out, everything normal, and if the problems persist they say you have IBS, it's a weird sort of complaint, a syndrome is a problem with specific cause, you should check out the FODMAP DIET, gives you a list of foods etc likely to be problematic, and things ok to eat.

• Posted

You’re right, there is no specific diagnostic tool to identify IBS. It is usually only diagnosed when other illnesses or conditions are eliminated. I manage my IBS symptoms by the Low  Fodmap diet, and occasional use of Immodium when I have a flare  up. I have to say that since eliminating high Fodmap foods from my diet I have been so much better. Foods such as mushrooms, garlic and onions wreak havoc on me. I can highly recommend the Low Fodmap diet but you really do have to scrutinise every single ingredient in all the foods you eat to make sure none of your triggers are included. For example some supermarket own  brands of tomato ketchup have onions in them, major brands don’t. 

Good luck and I hope you’re doing better soon. 

Jan

• Posted

Hi

Mine developed in my early fifties , im 56 now. after a bad bout of campylobacter stomach infection. But i believe a lot of my bowel problems are because of the perimenopause. Have you stopped your periods yet? are you menopausal? I really believe hormones are playing a big part of my ibs being exaggerated. 

• Posted

Hi Kim, I'm 57 and periods stopped about 2 yrs ago and have not had many menopausal problems apart from the occasional hot flush! I can't think of anything that might have set it off but the last couple of days have been slightly better. Once I've had the CT scam to rule out anything else I'll start keeping a good diary.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.