Hello all! ! Warmer days are coming!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I dont plan to run a marathon anytime soon, but I am wondering about kneeling? I am 4 months post op tkr on left side. I have tried a few times and seems okay.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The knee is metal...you cannot hurt IT by kneeling down.  However, the nerves are very tender so what you feel is nerve pain when you kneel.  This lessens over time.  I'm two years post op and still feel it.  Don't know if it will ever completely go away.  If you have to do some work on your knees indoors, use a 3"-4" foam pad.  For outside work, get a pair of padded tactical (SWAT) kneepads.  NEVER kneel on cement, tile, bare wood, etc.  The nerve sensation can be interesting...discomforting...horrific...any or all of the previous...

• Posted

Hello there!

I am 7 months on my take on right knee have kneel about 5 times so far using a pillow.

Yes at first it's a bit awkward but it will get better.

Do what Chico said about the knee pads. My surgeon told me to be careful on kneeling. Cause might crack the knee cap

• Posted

I kneel no problem . I use knee pads or something soft. I do yoga and I am an artist who likes painting big, so I often kneel when painting on the floor.

I don't do positions in yoga which involve putting all my weight on one knee and i don't do the kind of kneel where you actually sit on your heels with the weight on them.

It probably depends on what kind of kneel. I was kneeling reasonably comfortably, though it felt a bit odd, from 6 weeks post op.

I cannot see why kneeling on all fours would be damaging as long as you had cushioning under the knee. With a bit of leaning backwards. Bottom on heel probably isn't a good idea and may not be possible or desirable? Or necessary!

But kneeling or not, it may vary depending what the surgeon has done, what type of knee you have and many other factors.

I started trying to kneel very early on on my bed , as it was a good way to work on the bend , and I really wanted to kneel in the future. I didn't want my psychological aversion to the very odd sensation to put me off! I think I started around 6 weeks post op, very gently, very gently, on the mattress of my bed and leaning forward a lot. It caused a bit of discomfort, but I didn't do it more than once a day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.