Osteoarthritis natural remedy recommendations required please

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi. Has anyone used any healthcare supplements that have helped with Osteoarthritis pain relief?  I would much appreciate any replies. 

Regards 

Martin 

0 likes, 78 replies

78 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Good Morning Kate,My name is Bobby,and I was reading that you take Turmeric.I had just talked to my Pharmacy about some natural alternatives.They said Turmeric is a great anti inflammatory spice of some kind.Being allergic to any form of ibuprofen,I was looking for some of the inflammation.Turmeric shows promise. Please take care.Pleasure to meet you,May God Bless you

• Posted

Hi all, regarding turmeric - the active anti inflammatory ingredient is Curcumin.  The concentration of this in turmeric is actually only around 5%.  It's much more likely to be effective if you go to a reputable health food or homeopathic store and buy curcumin capsules as the quantity of turmeric you'd have to eat/take to get the same effect would be unmanageable.

• Posted

I thought whole turmeric was supposed to be more effective than extracted curcumin?  It does have interactions with some medications so like any of these herbal remedies it should be checked in case it's not okay for you.

• Posted

good point about the contra indications anhaga - particularly diabetes and those on blood thinners like warfarin - definitely best to check with doctor to make sure its safe in a specific case.
  • Posted

Hi,

Some anti-inflammatories you could try apart from turmeric are boswellia, frankincense, ginger, apple cider vinegar (helps to absorb bone spurs) and cut out processed foods, caffeine and sugars. Camomile tea or Valerian root tea before bed can help to relax you.

Best wishes

• Posted

I heard too that boswellia was good as an effective anti-inflammatory and that it can be an effective painkiller and may prevent the loss of cartilage.  I forgot about cider vinegar - its meant to be excellent to reduce cholesterol and blood sugar levels and to kill pathogens (bacteria), all good smile Lots of tried and trusted age old natural substances out there to try instead of poisoning our systems with pharmaceuticals - all of which have nasty knock on effects.  My partner's mother now takes about 20 different meds a day, an awful lot of which are just to counter the effects of other meds, distressing isnt it.

• Posted

I remember having an amazing medication for migraine.  It was naproxen, early days, still a prescription med.  When after a while I had to take another medication to protect my stomach I thought, enough is enough, and haven't taken naproxen since.  

• Posted

I have tried to avoid NSAIDs because they cause me so many knock on problems and the stomach protection meds (eg lansoprazole or omeprazole) needed are even more evil.  I put my back out a week or so before Easter and was in such dire agony I grabbed for the naproxen again - only thing that helped.  Even tramadol wasnt doing much.  Couple of days in and the stomach ache was worse than the backache so they went back in the drawer smile.  Back is improving (slowly) so I'm keeping off the meds and just using heat pads etc.

• Posted

Hi,

​I have been suffering from OA in both hips for around 3.5 months now. What I have found has helped me is daily exercise that my physio has given me, walking and stretching . I also take Ginger Root 500mg, Turmeric 500mg capsules, Omega 3 and Glucosamine Sulphate 1000mg all twice a day. I have found that this combination has helped reduce inflammation and pain. I was on 500mg Naproxen twice a day but have now reduced this to 250mg twice a day with the aim of completely being off these tablets. If you sit at work a lot like I do then I have recently purchased a balance cushion which helps to increase movement of the spine while sitting. Good luck in your quest for pain relief.

• Posted

Hi hiten68038,

Thank you for your reply. The balance cushion sounds good. I will look into that 👍

• Posted

I too sit at a desk all day and with a recent back injury on top of having OA, it's seriously uncomfortable and impossible to find a pain free position.  Will look into the balance cushion you mentioned, sounds like something I could definitely make use of.

• Posted

I have found it to be good as I was in pain and couldn't sit at work. It helps with good posture and works your back muscles and core. You can also use it to help with balance on one foot etc. I have posted information on the one I bought but the reply is waiting to be moderated.

• Posted

I remember using one during physio some years back after I suffered a major injury to one ankle, it was very helpful in strengthening the joint and I guess the continual microscopic movements needed to maintain balance will help in not sitting in a single uncomfortable position.  Wouldnt have thought to use one of these but it could be just what I need.  Thanks for the info.
    • Posted

Thank you everyone for your valuable input. So much better than asking a doctor! It’s the patients that can tell you what works and what doesn’t and what to try based on their own experience. 
    • Posted

No problem. It's been surprising how weak your core and back muscles can get due to sitting all day. You are not supposed to sit on the cushion all day but every so often for 20-30 minutes otherwise you will over work the muscles. Every time I use it I can tell I have had a work out. Good luck to all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.