Osteoarthritis natural remedy recommendations required please

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi. Has anyone used any healthcare supplements that have helped with Osteoarthritis pain relief?  I would much appreciate any replies. 

Regards 

Martin 

0 likes, 78 replies

78 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I am in the UK, I have osteoarthritis and was prescribed capsaicin cream. I didn't find it useful, although I had it on prescription. It can be bought online. You have to apply it with gloves, don't let it get near your eyes.

However, I have since discovered something that works better. It cannot be had on prescription but can be bought at supermarkets and chemists, Boots have an offer on at the moment, it's drug free and called Flexiseq max strength. It's a gel that takes a couple of days for effect, to be used twice a day. I'm on dat 2 and already feeling less pain. No smell, no burning. Just ordered 2 more online. It normally 18.99 but 12.99 at Boots at the moment. It is for all stages osteoarthritis. I hope this doesn't get deleted for giving store details etc.

Good luck!

• Posted

When I first saw the miraculous claims about Flexiseq, I took a note of these claims and a list of the consituents to my doctor and she said it was 'hokum' (her words not mine). The concept of the gel particulates changing shape and entering the joint to lubricate it sounds awesome but she felt it was more science fiction than science fact.  She pointed out that anything applied topically is not directional, it will enter the bloodstream via the skin and have a general affect on the whole body.  She told me that the only way anything could enter a specific joint would be for it to be injected therein.  The supposed active ingredient Sequessome is just a made up name and does not appear in any of her medical literature.

• Posted

Hi loxie,

This is the second time I've tried to reply so apologies if you get two messages.

Thank you for that information. Meticulous was asking about non drug treatment for OA. As Flexiseq is such I thought it would be worth mentioning to him because I am benefiting from it although it is early days. I have done more this morning than I have in a while and I have only been applying it for two days.

Hey, if it works what does it matter?

Best wishes

• Posted

Setting aside the question whether or not this med is effective, the fact that it enters the body through the skin shouldn't make a difference.  After all we can benefit from a soak in a bath with Epsom salts - the skin absorbs the magnesium and it seems to me to be at least as effective as taking a capsule, maybe more so.  

• Posted

I know.  I also think they tell you to use too much!  Apparently even a footbath is useful.  I only put in about 1/2 c when I have a bath, not the 2 c they tell you to, and certainly don't do this every day.  I also don't fill the bath to the top so I don't think the lesser amount is too diluted to be doing any good.  I like soaking in the tub, so it's a bit of a treat and, looked at that way, an inexpensive pleasure.

• Posted

oops, maybe you were talking about flexiseq.  I was talking about Epsom salts.  redface
    • Posted

smile yep it was regarding Flexiseq not epsom salts.  Epsom salts is an age old tried and tested option - it definitely works and with no harmful side effects.  I asked my doctor also about taking magnesium supplements - apparently my levels were normal so she said it was an unnecessary expense to buy them but I also mentioned epsom salts and she was fine with that.  Trouble is I only have a shower presently but I have soaked my hands in a bowl of warm water with epsom salts in - it really helps.
    • Posted

you're right - if something works and doesnt harm you then the science behind it is irrelevant I guess. It's a bit like anti ageing creams - the  manufacturers trademark a completely made up scientific name for an ingredient and hope that it sounds medically developed, when in reality it's just a moisturiser - but hey some of them are excellent, I just wish they wouldnt think we're all stupid enough to not realise that because you really don’t know what they are talking about, it seems like the product will work better because they are smarter than you - if I see one more 'cellular level cleansing' claim I will scream :-) 

• Posted

I looked this up a while ago because a lot of people only shower, and apparently something like a footbath is just as effective, and your hand soak proves that just immersing part of the body can be effective.  The skin absorbs the magnesium, and the blood circulates it throughout.  😎

• Posted

Hi loxie,

Yeah I don't go for any of those expensive cosmetic creams (my mother does though), I just use an inexpensive make up remover and it suits me fine.

😃

• Posted

Thats good to hear anhaga.  I do find relief from soaking my hands, i'm sure part of it is just the soothing effect of the warm water too.  I keep meaning to see if there is anywhere local to me that offers flotation therapy - sounds wonderful, they use epsom salts too.

• Posted

I'm now a coconut oil addict - I bought a really cheap massive pot of solidified coconut oil and use it on my skin and hair and both are benefitting.  I also use it in cooking too.  The natural saturated fats in coconut oil increase the good cholesterol and boost immunity - very important with inflammatory diseases like OA.  I found coconut sugar too - much healthier than refined white sugar.  Simple stuff and much cheaper than buying expensive supplements etc.

• Posted

There is a book about magnesium which I can't name on the forum, it gets moderated. 

• Posted

Hey Jayn... I have also had great results with Flexiseq.... my docs always looks at me sideways when I tell them what I'm using or supplements I take.  I'm not getting very far with GP or rheumatologist as far as help and elevating pain and symptoms so I decided to follow my instincts what works for me.  

I'm always interested and like to read and hear everyone's input and suggestions on this OA journey which I am finding so frustrating!!!!

I say keep the suggestions and recommendations coming.  😊😊

• Posted

Hi Gail,

I only just picked up your message, must have overlooked it, sorry. Glad to hear Flexiseq works for you too. It's a shame it's so expensive.

I know what you mean about advice from your doctor. Mine advised me to go swimming but I don't think my neck could stand it seen as though I can only do breast stroke. My rheumatologist gave me Capsaicin cream but it didn't do anything for me and it's so horrible to apply. I think you have to be pro-active and work out what's best for you. I have good faith in Dr Alan Mandell videos online, he explains everything and gives sound advice and exercises. He's very reassuring.

Best wishes

J

• Posted

Have private messaged you.
    • Posted

Sorry, I meant to be telling Loxie that I'd sent her a private message - the only way I can give a book title.  

• Posted

I have private messaged you.
    • Posted

Hi hon.  Thanks have picked it up. xx
    • Posted

I will have a look at those videos too.  

Who would have thought I'd go from a fairly fit, active 60 year old to now being sometimes totally incapacitated... got to beat it somehow 😊

• Posted

Hi Gail,

Yes they will be worth watching, I have learned a lot from them. They are quite short and to the point, no time wasting.

I feel the same way, I can't do and have lost interest in doing many of the things I used to do. I am fighting it though, trying to do as much as possible, not easy though with aching neck, muzzy head and light headedness a lot of the time.

Let me know what you think of the videos, hope they help you.

Regards

J

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.