Anyone with BX suffered from frequent dental abscesses

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi folk.....

Was wondering if any other bronchiectasis patients have suffered from frequent dental abscesses like me , are we prone to this ? I worry if coughing up phlegm can infect the gums. Asked my dentist but dont think she knows much about BX

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

All I know is that when I first met the pulmo I still use, he looked in my mouth & said something about not having any "rendition effect" yet. I haven't asked for clarification yet but will try to remember to ask when I see him soon.

If nothing else, all the antibiotics and the steroids are bad for our teeth. Anyone who inhaler steroids also always needs to rinse vigorously after a treatment.

• Posted

Thank you aitarg, oh your pulmonary team say that, interesting ? Yeah think perhaps it's a good idea to look into this to find out if there's something that can help protect our teeth

Tip antibiotics & steroids definitely don't help.

Thank you xx

• Posted

I have just copied and pasted thus article folks.......there is a possibility bronchiectasis can have an effect on our oral health

Study to Explore Potential Link Between Bronchiectasis and Periodontal Disease

Potential link between oral health and lung disease in bronchiectasis

Turn off notifications

While it has been known that periodontal disease is linked to disease exacerbations in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), the association has not been investigated in patients with bronchiectasis. A clinical trial is in early stages to explore the relationship in this patient group.

• Posted

My ex who was on oxygen 24/7 for both COPD/stroke risk for the last 6 years of his life had terrible teeth. He had tooth problems when I met him in '96 & already his lungs were pretty bad.

• Posted

I don't have abscesses, but I REALLY suffer with mouth ulcers.

As I've been ill since Boxing day I've had about 5/6 bouts where I've needed to get the Anbesol out. If anyone suffers with the ulcers I've found this liquid does wonders.

My dentist has told me that having BX does affect the mouth because of all the phlegm we bring up.

We've noticed I've needed more cleaning over the last few years as I've got worse.

I've started with mouth wash twice a day, more if I'm poorly and the phlegm gets worse.

Teeth are still good, so that's a plus.

• Posted

That makes sense to use mouth wash more joviswoman. I only use it in the morning and evening, must up my game

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.