What can I do to counteract the sleepy effects of Amitriptyline?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anybody know how I can get over feeling so sleepy from Amitriptyline during the day. I take it last thing at night. I did try talking it earlier but that made me sleepy. I have a desk job which doesn’t help. When I’m up and moving around I’m fine. Any advice would be much appreciated 🤞

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had the same problem when I was taking it - like you I tried taking it at a different time but that didnt work.  I was very zombied out all the time.  In the end I stopped it as I couldnt do my job properly being so 'out of it' - hopefully somebody has a tip to help you.

• Posted

I got very drowsy at first, and a dry mouth.  However, I quickly got used to the drug and the drowsiness wore off. I'm afraid I can't remember how long it took to get used to it. Based upon my experience, it really is worth hanging in. I titred up to 5 pills a day before it started to work, so I guess it took a month. Pretty sure that by the time it was controlling the pain the drowsiness was gone.

• Posted

Thanks very much Susan. I will stick with it. I was ready to stop taking it. I’m on 2 tablets a day at the moment, been on it about 3 weeks. I started on 1 tablet and increased to 2 about a week ago. I’ve definitely noticed a difference since upping to 2 a day. I’m so sleepy at work. I have to keep getting up and walking round to wake up. I would like to stick with cos I have noticed a slight decrease in the pain already. 
    • Posted

I've shared a link to an info site about the drug that I found very helpful. I was very reluctant to take it initially, but now view it as one of the better decisions I made!  It'll need to wait to be cleared by a moderator so check back later!

• Posted

Thanks Susan. Just read it and it has helped my understanding of it 👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.