Can’t straighten knee?! MRI shows sprain MCL

Posted , 3 users are following.

7 weeks ago I injured my knee whilst at a theme park on an inflatable game having to jump over the moving pole going round (I’m a big kid!) as I jumped over my leg didn’t and I went one way whilst my leg went another. I felt a pop in my knee and immediate pain as I fell. Since i haven’t been able to straighten my knee! I have had X-rays and MRI which shows a grade 2 MCL Spain, waiting physiotherapy. I have also been diagnosed with a DVT likely as a result of the injury and the clot runs up behind my knee into my thigh. The symptoms of the dvt are under control but I still can’t get back to normal as I can’t straighten my knee or bend it past 90degrees. I am young and normally active and I’m just wondering if anybody has any clues as to what I’ve actually done as I’m sure a sprain would not still cause me this much bother surely?! I’ve tried straighten my leg in the bath, in bed, laying down standing up and it just won’t budge (always been able to limp about with it all). It feels like something is stopping it, not massives of pain but some pain within the knee when trying. Has anybody had anything similar or could shed any light in this I’d appreciate it 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi

My friend did something similar, tried to do the spits! She found really gentle stretching and then went on to yoga classes. If you can swim that is great as you should be able to stretch your leg in the water. Just do all you can gradually and maybe go back to the doctor. She also had a sprain by the way and it was painful. So if you can rest it, that will also help. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you, I have been off work since injury as I have a physically demanding job I do 20k steps a day usually! I’ve not tried swimming or yoga as been told not to drive but I have tried daily stretching my leg and it just feels stuck not strained or tight but like it’s blocked? Feels like it will pop out if I push any further if that makes sense? sad 
  • Posted

Did your MRI not show anything else? They say when you have snapped your Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) you hear a "pop. Or you may have torn your Meniscus (cartliage) which is restricting you from straightening your leg.

• Posted

it was definitely something going I can vision the pain and feeling now! The mri showed I have a different shape meniscus but no mention of tears etc but there something definitely stopping it to me? Has anybody else had trouble with just an MCL sprain? 
    • Posted

I would go back and see you consultant as this was the problem with mine some thing felt like it was stuck. After having a 2nd MRI over a year & a half after the original injury they finally informed me I had torn my ACL, the tear in my Menisus was obstructing my ACL from working. So don't let them fob you off!!

• Posted

I do feel fobbed off at the minute, my OS made me feel like I was making it up! Hoping physio sheds some light on it.. how did you manage to get your second MRI? Did physio pick anything up?
    • Posted

After a year & a half of physio they said they couldn't do anymore for me, my knee still dident feel right and kept catching so went back to doctor who referred me to another Orthapedic Consultant.Who sent me for my 2nd MRI.Took 2 years to finally get the operation, so not impressed with the NHS.Yes see what physio's say, but again don't let them fob you off!!! Abit of advice, each physio & consultant will tell you different things so it can be a bit frustrating.Good luck

• Posted

Thank you for your help! Been to see physio today who said he thinks could be an ACL injury there too which isn’t shown on MRI but said I need to be able to get my leg straight before anything would be done about it!?  got some exercises to do but still not 100% on current diagnosis 🙄 

• Posted

Your welcome, I now how frustrating it is and it's sooooooo long winded, things are not done quick on the NHS. It should of shown on the MRI, but like I said don't let them try and fob you off!! Good luck, keep me updated :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.