Wrist fracture

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had an operation on my wrist last October due to a broken wrist. I have had a metal plate put into it. Yesterday I had it opened up again and had to have one of the screws changed for a shorter one. Before I left the hospital yesterday I was given a physio appointment for Friday 4th May but I wont be having my stitches out by then, is that possible, surely I cant have physio before removal of my stitches.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Sure you can!  I had the same type injury/surgery in late January.  I started therapy 4 days later, 3 days a week. The casting was removed and a temporary splint put on.  The tape covering the stitches kept them in place so they weren't compromised.  The sooner you start the better.  Good luck.  I will likely be having surgery to remove my plate later this year.

• Posted

Sure you can. First my sincere sympathy to you for having the incision reopened. I would rather give birth the septuplets! That being said, the longer you wait before starting physio, the harder it is. Even doing some simple finger exercises is worth the effort. Have you tried physio putty? Start with the lightest (yellow I think). I think it is probably like starting all over again. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.