Night sweats but not hot flashes?

Posted , 8 users are following.

So I was at the doctor today, telling him about my night sweats that sometimes require a change of clothes in the middle of the night.  I told him I’ve never had a “Hot flash” during the day, and my sweats at night aren’t necessarily from feeling hot.  Anyhow, he says that’s not typical for peri menopause and is ordering blood tests. He says the night time thing is usually more of a hot flash and not an all-out sweat.  So of course now I’m stressing...

Does anyone else have regular night sweats where they’re soaked, and in the absence of hot flashes?  

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I am just like you with the sweats. I am very annoyed with GPs. They are totally useless. They only associate meno with hot flashes. For goodness sake not all women suffer from hot flashes during meno but so many other symptoms. Plus the blood test they do are not accurate. They don't represent the reality. Test for this kind should be done certain time of the month. But they just let you have a blood test any time. Also women going through meno is all over the place in terms of hormon fluctuations. So it is pure luck if the blood test coinsides with the right time to show the truth situ. Take care. Good luck.

• Posted

Hey Rhonda! Yep, I had the night sweats.. I wasn't soaked , but my shirt was damp.. I didn't have a lot of hot flashes during the day... everyone is so different!   I have read many posts on here, that women have had the night sweats like you are talking about.. I pray your tests come back all good🙏  

• Posted

Hi Rhonda,

I will have to respectfully disagree with your doctor.  Hot flashes have never been one of my major symptoms.  I have had them, but not regularly and not in a little while.  I do have night sweats though...to the point that I have gotten up and taken a shower and put an ice pack on my head.  So I do sweat with night sweats.

I had a full work up of labs less than two months ago and they found absolutely no issues.  I am going to have to agree with many women on this board who think that GP's are useless with this.  They kinda are.  But, I am not certain, even with medical knowledge, what a man can tell me about my peri symptoms.  That is just me thoughsmile

• Posted

I get night sweats . I don't have you typical hot flashes that many woman talk about . Sometimes just my upper body wet and cold sometimes whole body . Never enough to change clothes but I get um . They are random also . I'm 48 . My issues are more anxiety , Palps , depression etc

• Posted

Dear Rhonda, I have night sweats too. I stopped drinking coffee or tea in the evening, and eating sweets after 5 o’clock, and it helps a bit. I don’t have typical hot flashes, but usually in the morning I feel generally very hot. It last a couple of hours. As if somebody turned the temperature on. Afternoons are better. I think I had only a few hot flashes and they appeared shortly before periods. 

General feeling of higher temperature is very annoying. As if I lived  in a hothouse. 

• Posted

Hi Rhonda, I’m really glad you raised this because I’ve been wondering the same , I’ve been getting night sweats most nights for the past year but not had a hot flush, though as most of the ladies have said I am generally feeling warm and I feel my face hot regularly, espically when I’m feeling hormonal with the other symptoms as well. I have long come to the conclusion that the medical professional is pretty clueless on peri menopause, I think the whole condition is so complex and so individual that they shy away from it as they don’t really have answers, so we have to research ourselves and compare with others, which is why this forum is so valuable to many of us. I saw a nhs gyno at a top London hospital this week, and I left thinking I knew more than him! He just wanted to refer me to therapy and I could tell he didn’t really agree with my symptoms , so frustrating !!! Love and hugs to all the ladies going through this xxx
    • Posted

Gp and doctors can't shy away from patients symptoms. Shouldn't. With any illness it s down the personal cases. Any GP should take that into consideration. Plus I hear so many ladies mention these to the GPS and gyno experts surely they should make a mental note of these and shouldn't be dismissive. My latest gyno appointment was rather dissapointing too. She had a funny smile in her face when I relate some of my symptoms to meno. All she said was my scan and everything looked right. So it is all mental is it!? I am SO GREATFULL to this group too. This is where I feel all the symptoms ate normal, I am.not alone and we will get through this together. Take care all

• Posted

Hi Rhonda,

Yes to night sweats and no to hot flushes. I get it mainly when i have spicy foods and lots of onions. And when i say i am soaking wet, its like i have a puddle on my chest! sometimes you can see the outline of my body on the sheet.... i get it mainly on my chest, tummy, back and neck.  I have just started to get hot feet too only at night which i find annoying.  I also have leg and thigh muscle ache, which i hate! as i feel like at 90 year old....oh the joys of this roller coaster. Keep smiling ladies 

• Posted

I’m so glad I found this group!  Just hearing from you all makes me think there’s a chance I’m not dying!  Going for a blood test this morning (checking a few different things), and having a pap.  I guess if that’s all clear then I can see the gyno about the symptoms if I want to take hormones or whatnot.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.