To remove or not!?!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Evening

I have a fairly large fibroid, 17x15cm. I don't have children but I may want them one day. I have found a surgeon who says he could do the op to remove keyhole which is great. But they have had to make me aware of the risk of surgery, vs the risk of trying for a baby before I have it removed. I am torn, I don't know whether to try and conceive before the op or not. Are the risks higher than that of the op.

Does anyone have any experience of this? I guess I'm looking for a friendly ear. Has anybody had a baby knowing they have a fibroid, likewise has anyone had a fibroid of that size removed and the operation went perfectly and we're able to have children after.?

Finding it hard to make the choice and am in danger of doing nothing!

Thanks

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi! It is a very difficult situation, and I think doctors have different approaches and theories re. fibroids

I also never had children and was diagnosed with 5 4cm - 8cm fibroids. My doc told me that it is extremely painful to be pregnant with fibriods, the other risk is that the fibroids creates extra pressure on my organs and baby and I should remove them before that and wait 6 months after ttc to avoid any complications.

I had my fibroid removal surgery a week and a half ago, so can't really give you sound advice 😔 but just a friendly ear. 

Good luck and stay strong. 

• Posted

HI Gem, 

Where is your fibroid located? I have a subserosal fibroid, it was found last September when I was pregnant because I was having so much pain. I had a scan and at the time the fibroid was rapidly growing and displacing my uterus. The fibroid measured 12x13cm and I was struggling to mobilise. The consultant told me that the fibroid was degenerating due to the fact it had grown so quickly.  At 8 weeks the baby died but I didn’t find out until my 12th scan and then had to wait another 4-5 weeks for the miscarriage to occur. Because my womb was to the left of my abdomen due to the fibroid occupying my pelvis my womb was unable to contract and on the day I misscarried I haemorrhaged and ended up back in hospital via ambulance. Afterwards at follow up the consultant told me that he suspected that the fibroid took the blood supply from my womb which probably caused me to miscarry. I know how painful being pregnant was and the whole experience was terrifying. I was advised that my fibroid would likely shrink after my hormones settled but it’s grown and I it is now 18x14cm. I’m waiting to see a consultant at Newcastle to discuss uae but I would prefer a myomectomy if possible. The fibroid is putting pressure on my right kidney according to my last mri. I would like to have another child in the future but I think it would be too risky with the fibroid because it was to grown again it would be too dangerous. The consultants feared that I might develop a dvt or have a spontaneous rupture during pregnancy. You have to consider the risks and the long term affects. I’m still living with this nightmare fibroid and waiting for it to be removed 7-8 months down the line. 

• Posted

I'am so sorry i could not imagine going through everything you went through after a miscarriage. I didn't know fibroids could do that. God bless you 🙏🏾🙏🏾. I had an open myomectomy over a month ago. have you thought of laparoscopic myomectomy🤔 even though with rhe size and where it's positioned they might want to do a open myomectomy. But if it's growing that fast you defiantly need to get rid of it asap. Goodluck🙄🙏🏾

• Posted

Thank you Pam x up to now the care I have received has been inadequate and the last consultant i saw was a locum, he said “if I was you I’d get it all out”. When I asked what he meant he said “have a hysterectomy”. I don’t really know what my options are until I see the consultant at a different nhs hospital. The problem is that I live near a secondary care nhs provider and they haven’t the skills to offer me different options so I’m hoping once I see at consultant at Newcastle with it being a tertiary care nhs provider, they might be more skilled at managing fibroids and be able to perform a myomectomy. Either way I can’t delay things any longer because it’s so uncomfortable xx
    • Posted

Hi Jenn, I can't imagine what you have been through, you are a very strong woman. But you deserve the best medical care and not just someone telling you to "get it all out"!! Makes me so angry 😡, how would he feel if someone told him to get his things all out!

I trust you will find the best option for you and you will be on the road to recovery soon. Keep us updated if you want 🙂 and stay as strong as you are 💪

• Posted

Thank you Bex! I will keep you posted on the outcome xx
  • Posted

Hi Gem, I think issue here is it's different for different people. Depends where the fibroid is. Just for your info, I had a fibroid & was told due to where it was I'd be unlikely to be able to conceive. (on both my & my husbands sides) It's 12x13x15 intramural, lower posterior wall. I was not warmed off trying, so we did & I fell pregnant straight away, a wee miracle. I was older 36, so they told me not to wait for surgeries & if I wanted kids to try. They didn't tell me that there was any more risks, but there must be from what I read below & Jenn  loosing her baby. My only son is now 10 years old, I was in labour 2 days to end up with an emergency section & my son was affected by the trauma. I still have the fibroid & have also been told that I can have it removed by keyhole but that at 47 they'd prefer to take the whole womb rather than just the fibroid. Can I please ask what area your surgeon is in (PM me if you like) as most surgeon's won't touch a fibroid by keyhole over 10cm, so I'm encouraged you have found one that will & is prepared to do a myomectomy. I think mine would, if I really pushed but he advised at my age, as I've now left it too late for another baby a hysterectomy would be better & rid me of fibroids once & for all.

• Posted

Hi gem,

Dont go for pregnancy with the fibroid.

I went to know about my big fibroids when i had my first ever pregnancy test. I wanted to continue the pregnancy aa i want my child.after 6months i got severe bleeding not only once but thrice and was hospitalized and bed rest totally.

Because of the big fibroid baby doesnt get enough space.

I got bleeding again at 8th month and than since ao much of blood was lost they had t do c sec and take out the baby.

My son born premature and diagnosed with CP.

Please do make sure everything do your research.

It also depends on the location of fibroids.

Best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.