Unexpected type of period pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi guys,

I've had fibroids for a few years now.

I have another ultrasound next month because in the last year my periods had gotten even heavier, and my gynaecologist said that my uterus is tilting to one side now. 

With having such heavy periods, I have to use a menstrual cup along with a very thick pad. For the last while, with the frequency of taking the cup in and out, and having to go to the toilet and clean up so often, I have some pain and discomfort from tears in the skin. This can get quite sore as my period goes on, and it starts to sting.

Has anyone else had this annoying effect from heavy periods? And if so, any tips of relieving this issue?

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi elaine, so sorry that you have to deal with this! I also used to have extremely heavy periods, and it is so frustrating to clean yourself up so often. I don't really have tips/advice, but I had my fibroids removed nearly two weeks ago now and my first period was still heavy but didn't last as long as it normally does. 

Two years ago I was on Visanne and that reduced the bleeding and pain drastically but it had some side effects. 

Good luck 🙂

• Posted

Hi Elaine, I used to have heavy periods too.  I only tried the menstrual cups briefly so haven't had the issue you mention.  If it helps, Tranexamic acid was a life saver for me.  It reduced the bleeding significantly (although it didn't stop it).  It's on presciption from your GP but you can also buy over the counter at Boots - Cyklo F.

I also recently heard about Thinx period pants which I'm going to try out.  They are a US brand so delivery takes a bit longer (and I had to pay customs charge - boo!).  my periods have been really light for the past few years but out of the blue, I recently had a really heavy one (with flooding, clots, the works!).  I purchased Thinx in the hope it would be back up for my commute to work.  They claim to be great for heavy periods but we'll see. 

Good luck x

• Posted

Elaine, I'm a cup user too. I always place a little bit of KY jelly on my skin before inserting my cup. This should alleviate the rubbing that the cup may create. Gently wipe off any excess after the cup is secure. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks for all of your suggestions guys, they've really helped.

But just as I've gotten that issue sorted, another has arose!

I've started bleeding heavily again between periods. I'm on my feet all day at work, and have zero energy, on top of having to run to the bathroom constantly because of such heavy clotted bleeding.

I went to my GP last week and she prescribed me 4 days worth of Cyklokapron tablets, which so far has not helped me at all. She also told me to take 3 packets of my pill without my usual 7 day break for the next 3 months straight, followed by a weeks break, and another 3 months without a break.

I'm waiting on another hospital appointment, but on my last one, the gynaecologist didn't offer any form of treatment at all, I'm at my wits' end at this stage! 

• Posted

Hi Elaine,

Are you taking presecription strength iron tablets? Really hope so. I've started taking mine with both vit C and a herbal prep called Rumex Crispus (yellow dock) which has really seems to help with the absorption.

Taking something like spirulina is also a good idea to help with general health and strength building, ènergy levels. I'm going to look at taking ginseng too.

As for period wear, I use period pants along with reusable pads the largest size usually, which have changed my life. You don't need to get a special brand of pants, cheaper period pants are available on Amazon in packs of 3. Mine were from a manufacturer in China and they work great. The reusable pads are so so soft against the skin, like fleece. and they are pretty, they are great, a million times better than using throwaway pads. They are a little expensive (also available on Amazon) but of course you can keep reusing them so the cost works out. I can't believe how absorbent they are, much more so than throwaway ones. Occasionally my period is so heavy that even these two methods aren't enough but in general they are excellent.

I also use herbs to help slow down the bleeding. Shepherd's purse tincture and lady's mantle as a tea. You need to use lady's mantle daily for a couple of months or so before you see results. I'm on my second month now and my periods are better and the length of bleeding has gone down from an average of 2 weeks to 9 days. I hope it will improve even more.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Jessyh,

The doctor prescribed me iron tablets, but you can get them over the counter anyway. I take an iron tablet with vitamin C daily, I'm not sure how effective it is nowadays really.

I didn't even know you could get reusable pads, thanks for that advice. 

I  will definitely look for some of your suggested herbs when I'm in town tomorrow.

I finally got a hospital appointment, but it's not for another 5 weeks sad Hopefully they will offer a more effective treatment this time!

Thanks smile

• Posted

Hey Elaine,

How much iron are you taking? My iron levels got very low and got very close to needing a transfusion. I take 160mg a day of Tardyferon.

I've recently started taking yellow dock root (Rumex Crispus) with it as it has excellent review s from people saying how it really turned their anemia levels around.

Spirulina is also excellent as an additional supplement , it's an amazing all round health tonic with lots of iron.

It's awful not having any energy and frightening to think you might need a blood transfusion so keep taking the iro and look after yourself. Good luck with everything.

• Posted

Hey Jessyh, 

I'm currently taking Ferrograd C 325mg/500mg prolonged release tablets. 

My regular health store was closed this weekend due to a bereavement, so I wasn't able to pick up your suggestions, hopefully they will be open this weekend when I get another chance to go into town!

Thank you smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.