Vitamin B 12 injections ???

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anyone who has the three monthly injection of vit B 12 ever considered taking a supplement (tablets)   and if you do take tablets,,,, capsules or a spray,

was there any difference in  your  swapping over. 

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jaqueline, I've been having 8 weekly top up injs, , but when the inj is coming up if I feel the need, I use a spray 1000iu, I can't take tabs orally,

I can't absorb, but this goes inside your cheek, it does help,and as Clive alive says,you can't have to much b12.

Hope this helps got mine from amazon. Patricia.

• Posted

I don't feel any different before or after the injection ,but if my blood needs care,who am i to argue, The one thing I do find disconcerting is ,I did ask if a blood test ought to be done now and again to check my levels, and was told,, NOT Necessary. .But, I think they are .Have you had a check ???

• Posted

The N.I.C.E Guidelines on the Treatment Of B12/Folate Deficiency state under "Monitoring":

Measuring cobalamin levels is unhelpful as levels increase with treatment regardless of how effective it is, and retesting is not usually required

However, cobalamin can be measured 1–2 months after starting treatment if there is no response

Neurological recovery may take some time — improvement begins within one week and complete resolution usually occurs between six weeks and three months.

Ongoing monitoring is unnecessary unless a lack of compliance with treatment is suspected, anaemia recurs, or neurological symptoms do not improve or progress.

I am not a medically trained person but hope this answers your question.

• Posted

Morning Clive,I did post over a week ago,but don't know if u saw it. Anyway here goes, I've been on B12 injections 8 weekly since jan, my GP tested me after my loading doses in Dec17, for folate, and retest b12, levels were 3.0 folate,and 2000 b12.I was also tested IF negative.I had another b12 injection feb, 8 weeks later.my next b12 was due in April,but because folic tabs made me sick,and I couldn't take them, my GP suggested directly before my next b12 due in late April,to have a blood test for folic and b12. !!ok.

Question,results came back folic 3.7 and b12 2000, very high I thought, !!!! Now my concern is that as my b12 level is so high, will they stop giving injections.my main symptom peripheral neuropathy, has not yet improved,otherwise feeling lots better in myself.oh my first test result last nov was 169. What do you.think ?am I a worrywort, because,b12 really has helped improve my health.

Thanks Patricia.

• Posted

Your "high" B12 is not a worry as you cannot overdose on it - any excess to requirements is excreted via your urine.

In fact the N.I.C.E Guidelines on the treatment of B12/Folate deficiencies under the heading "Monitoring" after treatment has started:

"Measuring cobalamin levels is unhelpful as levels increase with treatment regardless of how effective it is, and retesting is not usually required. 

However, cobalamin can be measured 1–2 months after starting treatment if there is no response

Neurological recovery may take some time — improvement begins within one week and complete resolution usually occurs between six weeks and three months.

Ongoing monitoring is unnecessary unless a lack of compliance with treatment is suspected, anaemia recurs, or neurological symptoms do not improve or progress."

In other words once injections have begun it's pointless testing unless the result comes back LOW. A high level is to be expected and if your doctor gibs at this quote him the guidelines.

(I will message you a link about High B12 Levels)

Your Folate at 3.7 looks to be at the very bottom of the range and this gets "used up" processing the B12. 

Were you prescribed methylfolate? I understand that this does not always "agree" with some people and side effects include sore muscles and aches. acne or rash. insomnia and irritability. severe anxiety. nausea, headaches and migraines.

As long as you don't have an absorption problem with your digestion rich sources of folate include spinach, dark leafy greens, asparagus, turnip, beets, and mustard greens, Brussels sprouts, soybeans, beef liver, brewer's yeast, root vegetables, whole grains, wheat germ, bulgur wheat, kidney beans, white beans, salmon, orange juice, avocado, and milk. In addition, some breakfast cereals in the UK are fortified with folic acid.

Personally I have taken 1 – Folic Acid 400µg tablet every day for more years than I can remember and my level stays in the upper third of the range despite having B12 injections every three weeks and using a spray each morning.

The tablets can be bought cheaply over the counter at any pharmacist or supermarket.  Have a word with the pharmacist about your reaction to whatever supplement you were prescribed which made you sick.

Please remember I am not a medically trained person but hope this helps.

• Posted

I self inject cyanocobalamin, 1 ML, every other day. The monthly injections just did not meet my bodies needs.
    • Posted

You are so brave,  I have been chasing B 12 info,and I gather that folic acid should be taken with the B i2.. I am having problems getting my jab on time .thank you G P receptionist !!!  so I am all set to buy my own ,that puts ME in charge. Dodgy things can happen if the level goes down.
  • Posted

Hi Jacqueline,  I'm from the US , so our Drs. treat B12  problems much deferently than in UK. When I started I was given a shot a week for 8 wks. It's been 24 yrs. now I take 1 ml . shot a week . Have you been diagnosed with PA?  I have that diagnosis, so taking anything by mouth is worthless. If you feel the result of low B12  before you receive a shot, do what ever makes to make you feel better. Low B 12 is something that a lot of folks don't understand, it's not an older persons problem. I've done a lot research about the deferent regions that have high amount of people with low B 12.  Here in US there aren't a lot of people with it , but my families roots go back to Cornwall England and western France. The endocrologist I see is from India, she says they have high numbers of people with B12 problems. 

I hope any of this was helpful.

• Posted

Hello. yes lack of,, seems not to be high on G P.s priority list .I found out purely by chance, because my nails were breaking and looked awful. Having always had nails that could drill concrete. he did  a blood test .and I was found to be lacking. so I had the 2 jabs a week for a few weeks ,then went on to the 3 monthly routine, but they are a tad haphazard, and I seem to be the only one concerned with my health. 

So ,yet  another incurable thing for me to cope with. I did have a chat with the H&B sales person, who did use the spray, as you said ,it goes straight into the bloodstream Don't know if there is any taste with it. Off tomorrow to buy some. 

Think that people ignore the signs, of constant tiredness ,and don't bother to have bloods done,so there are probably loads of people with the deficiency.

Will let you know .. 

• Posted

Hello Jacqueline, so sorry to here about Drs. Hap hazard way of dealing with your health. I hope the spray works out for you. I personally have never heard of it myself, but several people on here use it. 
    • Posted

Morning suzanne,, I did go shopping ,but ,,bought  Folic Acid instead,,(woman's prerogative to change her mind ) .  Not overly concerned about G.P's lack of care ,that's why I now use  herbal and vitamins for cures, stopped taking prescription drugs  because of the awful side effects most of them cause. Lots of people seem to now be going down this road. Hope you are "Good to Go "???

By the way ,the shop was out of stock of the nasal B 12,

• Posted

I've had P.A. for 46 years and I use a methycobamalin spray every morning and I'm on three weekly injections of cyanocobamalin. There is no problem mixing. I'm on cyano because I didn't "get on" with the hydroxocobamalin when it was introduced in the mid 1980s

Fortunately you cannot "overdose" on B12 as any excess is excreted via your urine.

It is also important that your Folate level is monitored as this is essential to process the B12.

There is a complex interaction between folic acid, vitamin B12 and iron. A deficiency of one may be "masked" by excess of another so the three must always be in balance.

Symptoms of a folate deficiency can include:

symptoms related to anaemia

reduced sense of taste

diarrhoea

numbness and tingling in the feet and hands

muscle weakness

depressionReplacing B12 will lead to a huge increase in the production of blood cells and platelets,(which occurs in the bone marrow) and can lead to rapid depletion of folate  and iron stores.

Folate is obtained naturally by eating leafy green vegetables, sprouts, broccoli, asparagus, spinach. peas beans etc.

I am not a medically trained person but I've had P.A. (a form of B12 deficiency).

I wish you well.

• Posted

Hello Clive,,, seem to think you and I have had words before ,I remember your "Bit" about not being medically trained. Can't remember what about, though 

• Posted

Hello Jacqueline

I'm not medically trained about anything - just a 77 year old man who's had P.A. for 46 years, 38 of which I lived in complete ignorance of what it was all about.

When I was diagnosed in May 1972 my then doctor gave me two years to live unless I ate raw liver three times a day - or had four weekly injections of cyanocobamalin for the rest of my life

It was only when I came up against my "one size fits all" doctor who categorically refused to believe that the return of neurological symptoms in the run up to my next scheduled injection was anything to do with the P.A that I determined to find out what I could about the disease.

In 2010 I joined the Pernicious Anaemia Society and posted on their then forum the question "Is there anyone else who feels the need for more frequent injections etc..." and was amazed by the response - I was not alone and eventually I was able to persuade my doctor to increase the frequency to every three weeks. I also joined this community at the same time and asked the same question.  I am also a "Forum Support" on the Health Unlocked" Pernicious Anaemia Society's community where I am a regular contributor.

I think it is important for me to qualify anything I write by saying that I am not medically trained because it is based mainly on my own experiences and what I have learned along the way or on NHS and PASoc public domain Guidelines.

• Posted

Hello Jacqueline, I hope you have been able to work out a better response with the spray. I also give myself a 1ml shot a week, as I have gotten older I am less able to absorb the B12  so shots must happen more often. As some would say easy peasy. It keeps my levels up in the 750 range and that is good for me. Let me ask you a question, did they check your vitamin D  level . I also suffer a deficiency of vit. D so I supplement that also . Have they checked your thyroid levels. 4 yrs ago I had to have my thyroid removed, it had a very large tumor on it . So I need to take synthyroid for my remaining life . That med. can be a bit tricky to balance, and depending on you weight or what you may eat that can change 
    • Posted

Having thyroid problems such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and Grave’s disease does put you at risk of developing a Vitamin B12 deficiency.

I am not a medically trained person.

I wish you well.

• Posted

Hello Clive , how have you been ? You are right about having a thyroid problem does put a person at risk for other deficiencies. In my case the thyroid problem is actually caused by a treatment I was it at 5 years old , to shrink my tonsils and adenoids with radiation, it was in 1953 and John Hopkins hospital developed this treatment that helped children before tonsils removal.  All the children involved in the studiy,  97 percent went on to have thyroid and pituitary problems, If you are interested in reading about it the Internet has all the information. I'm not a medical person nor do I give medical advice. But people that start one autoimmune disease often develop others, I'm not sure if the radiation caused my other problems but it makes one wonder ? Clive I hope to continue the fight to healthy living by helping others with any info I might have , I wish the same for you , never give up . 

• Posted

I'm OK at the moment although my digestive system has been thrown into a bit of a turmoil having just been told after tests that I have an "Under performing" Pancreas caused (I'm told) by the gastric surgery I had in 1959.  Still I suppose it's better late than never biggrin  I've prescribed enzyme treatment which whilst it is supposed to help digest my food has completely upset my normal routine. However it's early days yet and hopefully things will settle down soon.

Sorry to read about your radiation side effects and you are right about autoimmune diseases multiplying - it's almost like "buy one - get one free" - my second one is diabetes.

But Hey! I'm coming up to 77 years of age - had my three score years and ten and I'm still "clivealive"

Keep fighting the fight and helping others with your good advice.

Goodnight from the U.K.

• Posted

Hello Suzi. funnily enough, i have just had a check on my Thyroid,, and it was good. as are all of my "Other bits " apart from a few lumps that are squatting  here and there ,but not causing any problems, and are totally ignored by myself, Always think that bodies are like cars, bits drop off, get rusty ,,wear out,, but still keep going ,Is the self infliction of the jab your idea ,,or the G'P's. ??The nurse who used to give me the jab, was a qualified javelin thrower  of Olympic standard ,who always left me bruised and really hurt ,so I refuse to have that nurse,now have one ,and never feel a thing. x. .

• Posted

I am a man of many parts - not all of which are still working biggrin

To my dearness I'm accustomed,

And my dentures are just fine

I can cope with my bi-focals

But how I miss my mind.

• Posted

Oh how right you r Clive 😂 but !!! Since taking b12 and folate my head tells me I'm 25,

again,unfortunately my body is still 70,but loved your interpretation of how we seniors feel,keep offering us your knowledge Clive, I for one have lea rnt a lot about b12 and pa.thank you.tricia.😁

• Posted

Good afternoon, Jacqueline, if memory serves, it was my  idea. I changed Drs. and the new Dr. agreed. I changed Drs. because old dr. was charging my insurance extras every time I went into office. The shots are " no big deal" . You can give in thigh or high hip. My husband gives me shots too. It's cheaper to purchase than to drive to Drs. office and pay for office visit. All around I'm much happier giving my own shots. We are like rusted cars parts . I need a reboot . LMAO !  Never give up . Fight on

• Posted

Morning,, don't think you told me about swapping .but ,I have done the same, we aren't bound to stay with doctors who are members of the "don't care Club! " As you probably know ,we don't pay here, so I can imagine paying for every visit can add up. The Folic Acid is a small

tablet ,but packs a very noticeable result. I feel that  my B 12 level must be good ,because my nails are back to concrete digging capacity. . Won't be doing the self infliction ,too much of a Wusseek   x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.