Hip replacement / young adult with perthes

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello! 

I am a 24 y/o male with a troublesome hip joint due to perthes disease . 

This deformation is causing chain effect like issues with my knees (cap dislocations) and back as well as postural problems (pelvic tilt) . I am also basically restricted to engage in any sort of physical activity besides biking and swimming due to these conditionings. 

My question would be a pretty obvious one in my opinion which is what are the reason NOT to go through THR at this point in life and live a pain free life with extreme cautious care for the implant ? I mean , these things last around 35-40 years now so it’s not like the old days in that aspect at least . Please share your knowledge and experience .

Thank you 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My son had a THR a  year ago. He had it done the Anterior method. (From the front) He is doing great. He walked out of the hospital after the surgery. 3 months later started his clinical rotations in med school. He is really glad he did it.
  • Posted

Because hip replacements still dont last that long. They last 20 years if you're not that active. You can only have so many in your life and generally that is 3. It damages your healthy bone. So you're 24 now, by 45 you'll probs need another or already have your 2nd. Let's say 70 (add a few years to the THR) and you're on your 3rd. These are some reasons my dr refuses to do it. He also stated that with having the disease it makes it very complicated to do the surgeries. All the deformities in the bone (if you had surgeries for LCPD) makes it extremely difficult to place the new hip. I wish i could have it done. I'm in constant pain 80% everyweek. I have 2 boys. Itshard. .

• Posted

Everyone has to chose for themselves, but my son, who was in Med school, researched all options. He was in constant pain. When he decided to do it. It was the best thing he said he ever did. The biggest thing that many doctors state is make sure that the doctor doing the anterior procedure does ALOT of them. Our doctor pretty much only does anterior. This makes a huge difference especially since your case is difficult.  You don’t want someone doing it that is just learning. The question is would you like to be pain free for a lot of years or just deal with pain. In 25/30 years they may have even a better option if you should need it. Hope this helps. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.