Fed up of this already.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Friday morning I woke up with hives on my thighs. Got some antiistimmine and they went away. The

t even they can back all over my chest

t and my face so I went to a&e. Was given benadyrl.

The next morning they were all over my body and I felt as though I couldn't breathe. Went to hospital, antiistamine by iv and steroids. They went away.

The next morning they were worse again with my eyes swollen. A&e again injected a different antiisammine and told to carry on using steroids and that as there is nothing else they can do.

I stopped at my mums last night in case it is something in our house. And this morning I've work up with with them all over again.

Does this sound like an allergic reaction or just one of those things? I really don't want this for the rest of my life. It terrifies me that one day I'll get anaphylactic or something

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

HI First of all so sorry you have to deal with this.. I have had my hives for almost a year now and they kind of started out like yours. I do not know the reason for them but have been on xolair shots every month which keep them pretty much away.. I do get them from time to time sometimes daily but they are small and eventually go away. I am then left with lots of itching and no hives in certain spots actually the same spots almost daily..I have been using emu oil or cream and that really helps a lot with the itching.. I dont know if I will ever find out the reason for them, it is seems many people never do.. Have you been to an allergist.. That is the person to answer your questions and every one is different. Good luck to you.. 
  • Posted

Hi, I’ve recently started with hives too. I’m lucky I’ve not had breathing issues although the pain and burning at night almost lead me to a&e it was so bad, worse than anything I’ve ever experienced.  I’m dosed up on anti histamines and utterly fed up, creams make it worse so I’m now not using any. The hives move around my body getting worse in the evening then almost gone by the morning to re-appear again somewhere else in the day. Doctor says there is nothing they can do and it would be impossible to find the cause. So for a start this week I’m changing my diet, all fresh, no dairy, plenty of water, limited meat.  I’m going to do all I can to try and alleviate this.

• Posted

Thankyou for your replies.

I have booked a doctors appointment for this afternoon even tho the hospital said there was no point. I want to get the ball rolling on trying to find out what may of caused this. I think I might just ask for simple blood tests first.

Seems strange that it goes away and reappears bad in the morning. Maybe this is because the steroids and meds have worn off in day.

I don't know how people deal with this for years. I've only had it since Friday and I've already got myself in a mess because I can't deal with it

• Posted

Please let me know how you get on Emily. I’m very much the same, I read it can last years and I can’t cope with that. 
  • Posted

So sorry you are going through this. You could ask for a referral to a dermatologist - although you will be waiting 6 to 18 months. It sounds like a reaction to something. Have you started any new medications (it could be something you started 3 or 4 months ago)? Or have you had a recent infection? Think of your rashes as a toxicity build up in your body, it’s going to take time to be clear of it. You will only be able to manage the symptoms until the culprit has been stopped and the toxins are out of your body. I take 2 x 10mg cetrizine antihistamines every 12 hours (H1), then I take 2 x 75mg ranitidine heartburn & indigestion relief every 24 hours (H2). There is an understanding that mast cells (these cause histamine release) are created in the stomach. By taking H1 and H2 you stop your body creating urticaria rashes. Speak with your GP if this is needed long term, but you can manage this yourself for 6 days. Also, a 20 minute soak in a bath with a teacup full of Epsom salts will help stop itching and draw toxins from your system. Good luck & hang in there, I’ve had this on and off for over 40 years. Drink plenty of water as well 👍

• Posted

I have not started anything new all I can think of is:

I have an autoimmune thyroid disease (sometimes I forget to take tablets)

I have had a croaky voice for a couple of months.

I had painful glands under my ear prior to the rash occurring

I've had itchy armpits for ages

I was on my period when the rash occurred

I have been very stressed and depressed over certain things prior.

I have started a new job 3 weeks ago at centre Parcs (walk through trees to get to where I work)

I'm terrified that this could be something more serious like a cancer and I suffer health anxiety so this isn't easy for me to deal with.

• Posted

I can only go from my own experience, I started with urticaria at 11 (I’m 53 now) after my 1st bout of tonsillitis, since then I’ve reacted to penicillin, other medications including antidepressants, an abscess, every repeated tonsillitis infection, chemicals used in swimming pools and carpet cleaners, pancreatitis, uveitis. Last year I was diagnose with Graves Disease and Hyperthyroidism. Since this diagnosis I have had to cease antithyroid meds as I have reacted badly to both standard medications with urticaria - I’m currently under review with my Endo, so I don’t know how this will end. 

It is scary when your body is reacting this way to an unknown enemy. But please enjoy whatever pleasures you can that give your mind a break from this torture. Enjoy your walks through trees, on beaches, with dogs, smelling flowers etc. To date I have not come across any literature stating it could be cancer related, but please speak with your GP for reassurance or tests. 

I cant stress enough the relief I get from the H1 and H2 approach. 

I feel your pain and distress, may peace be with you until the culprit is identified. 

• Posted

Just been to the doctors and there's nothing they can do until next week to see if it has settled or not. If it hasn't then it's immumologists. What Is this?

Only reason to go to hospital now is if I have difficulty breathing tongue and lip swelling.

• Posted

There seems to be a pattern. It comes up in the night, bad itching and hives for the morning. I take the tablets, they go, they come back at night.

It's not getting any better at all and it's driving me insane now and making me feel quite low. Apparently the day before this happened I looked white. Now I'm freaking about cancers causing this.

I've taken all my steroids now so just left with fexafenadine now. It's stupid how I can't go to the doctors till a week today and I'm a waitress so I can't even hand food out looking like this. Really has put my life on hold

• Posted

Hi Emily

Did you get to the bottom of your hives at all?

I’m still covered! 

• Posted

Try traditional  Chinese medicine (TCM) . It worked for my 8 year old nephew. He has been off of all medications for 11 days now. I am so very happy with the result. I am keeping my fingers crossed that his urticaria won’t come back soon.  I feel very bad for anyone going through this so I am trying to spread the word that TCM may help. Make sure not to take any other medicine while taking TCM because I read it can interfere with its effectiveness.  I read that Zyrtec definitely interferes with it.
    • Posted

I have to take many other precription drugs so it would prob interfere with them.. I have never heard of this med but will look into it.. right now i take a monthly xolair shot

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.