Managing pain with degenerating fibroid

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was hospitalized 2wks ago for severe abdominal pain. Have fibroid size of grapefruit that’s degenerating. Getting hysterectomy in two months. Trying to shrink it a bit with implant and hve started hrt (am 44) Due bk at work (teacher) yet getting waves of extreme pain,  back pain, pain down leg and tiredness is unreal. Is this normal? Do I just get bk to work and get on with it? Am

Never sick, fit and healthy in other ways. This has really knocked me off my feet. Don’t want to let work down but not sure I can fufill my role. Anyone else experience these symptoms? Thanks 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Before I had surgery to have the fibroid removed (same size as yours), I couldn’t even walk down the corridor to my room. I’m a nursery nurse (8-6 Mon-Fri). I ended up sitting on a wheeled chair and was pushing myself around using furniture and my feet. I couldn’t even walk across the classroom unaided. I ended up off sick four weeks before surgery and wished I’d listened to my body and not gone in long before I got to that stage. Listen to your body and take the time to allow yourself to rest before your surgery. If you go into surgery completely exhausted you’ll be even more exhausted afterwards initially. Look after yourself. The more you push yourself the more people think your fine and they will push you more than you should because they won’t necessarily understand what you’re going through. I’ve gone back to work now. My surgery was in February this year. I got board at home and went back after 9 weeks. I’m now back to full time hours and have been almost from the beginning of going back. I did two weeks of half days but it wasn’t practical and I went into full time hours. I’ve been fine and getting stronger all the time. However I’m now starting to get pains in my stomach again which I haven’t had since a few weeks after the operation. All I’m saying really is take it easy and be selfish and look after yourself. No one else will see the pain or scar (because of where it is) and will very quickly assume you are fine from the get go. Work will manage somehow but you have to think of yourself and not your class. Hope everything goes well for you. 
    • Posted

Gosh, that sounds horrendous, thank you so much for sharing. I was told at hospital that symptoms would ‘settle’ so I thought I’d be fine. I have a residential next week with school and thought it might be a good distraction but realistically, sitting on a coach for hours with this thing pressing on either my back or bladder is not ideal! I also had an infection when admitted so that must have weakened me as I could sleep the clock round. I’ve been off work and while I can pootle around at home, I know when in work, it will be full on, I’m going to go back to the gp today for advice on pain management and then I think I’ll need more time off. Hope your pains settle and thanks.
  • Posted

Good luck with the surgery once it comes, you'll be glad to be free. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.