Ive been taking less than 1 milligram of xanax for 3 weeks tryimg to wean myself off. How much do I

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was previously addicted to xanax and got help to get off of them. About a month ago I started taking them again for anxiety and now want to stop because of the awful withdrawals I went through the first time. Have been taking less than 1 mg a day for about 3 weeks. What is the best regimen for getting back off without going into withdrawals again?

I

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I think theĀ  best thing is to read the Ashton Manual and discuss with your dr. I think that there is no way to avoid wd but tapering extremely slowly with minimise wd sxs and prevent protracted withdrawal syndrome. Good luck. x
  • Posted

I don't think you will have much trouble... What was the reason you were given the xanax? People saying to cut it down gradually will be giving bad advice (as you've only been taking them for 3 weeks) because that will mean you have to take them for another week or 2 which means you will be taking them for 5 weeks. You will be ok to stop them now.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Your right as these sort of medication is only prescribed or max 2-3 week as there very, very addictive and can cause a lot of problems when coming off them as I've been prescribed 28?2mg diazepam a week for 6 yrs now and when they tried tapering me off them I felt really awful all the time

• Posted

Not had much experience with Xanax, but i know that when your tapering each reduction takes about 4 weeks for the body to acclimatize to each new dose. Take it slow and make it count.
  • Posted

Maybe try the placebo effect. I don't think it would really work if you did it yourself but maybe have someone you know on a random day replace the pills with a sugar pill or a vitamin that resembles a xanax without you knowing when they will do it. I know it may sound stupid but its worth a try.

• Posted

Benzos like alprazolam are very hard to just come off cold turkey as they can cause fits and in some cases death, so taking a sugar pill is quite dangerousĀ 
    • Posted

Sometimes I go months without mine. I've been on mine since 2011. I take as need. Sometimes i take it for a week if my anxiety is that bad then I stop. I've never heard about someone dying.

• Posted

Xanax are one of the strongest benzos been prescribed at the moment stronger than 10mg diazepam and take longer to detox off so if u want to detox ask for clonazepam 2mg then go on lorazepam and then diazepam 5mg until you end up on diazepam 2mg one a day until taking diazepam 2mg once every other day until your on 2mg once every 3 times a week then u can feel better about stopping altogetherĀ 
  • Posted

U should be ok to stop taking them if you've only been taking them for 3 weeks as u won't get any withdrawal effects, if any u might feel abit tired but don't continue taking after 3 week as there more chance of getting worse withdrawal effects like cold sweats, fits, shivers, aches ect!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.