Vertigo? Anxiety? Help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I suffer from anxiety so I do know when I'm having an anxiety attack or not (usually) but recently I have been getting these all of a sudden bouts where I'm sitting and my whole world starts spinning. I try to lay down to help but my heart just pounds away for more then an hour and I'm very restless. I want to sleep but my pounding heart and dizziness keep me awake and I fear that some thing else is happening.

Recently had an echocardiogram and everything came back normal. Why is my heart constantly pounding with no ease even when I take deep breaths to try to relax? Any one else experience this? This has been happing now for about a week. Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Go to youtube look up the epley maneuver this may help. I have been thru the exact same thing on and off for years.
  • Posted

Have you had a doctor (preferably an ENT) check your eyes for a nystagmus?  If they find you have a nystagmus, it usually means that you have Vertigo.  That is how I was diagnosed.
    • Posted

Heather how do they treat for a nystagmus? Ive heard of it but not sure the treatment. Thanks
    • Posted

The doctor looks at your eyes and he/she holds up a finger that they ask you to follow with your eyes.  They closely watch what your eyes do as they follow the dr's finger back and forth.  Apparently a nystagmus doesn't allow your eyes to follow their finger normally.  

After diagnosing my nystagmus along with a couple other symptoms, they gave me a referral to a Vestibular Therapist.  Aside from asking me to follow her finger with my eyes, she did a maneuver on me which elicited the vertigo and then fixed it.  It eventually came back, but after seeing her half a dozen times, she was able to stop the Vertigo and the nystagmus.  I had Vertigo for 5 weeks, didn't see the Vestibular Therapist until my 3rd week.  I'd probably still have Vertigo if she hadn't done the "maneuvers" on me.  I was lucky that my insurance covered 80% of the Vestibular Therapy.  Good luck, I hope that you get some relief!

• Posted

Hi

It could be anxiety and panic attack, which will make someone worried, affecting the heart and dizzy

Some people think is wrong with their heart

Like you say, you have anxiety and you should know how it feels 

See a psychiatrist for some calm medicine

Alan  

• Posted

My simple suggestion is to cut all stimulants for 2 weeks and see if your symptoms go away . Stop coffee , tea , chocolate , red bull or whatever stimulant you consume .

It worked for me

And if you drink alcohol stay strictly on 1 glass of red wine a day , no more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.