18 weeks

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi . i am 18 weeks post op on my right knee.(tkr). i am exercing, icing,etc, not over doing it can do exercises ok, still a bit painfull doing them. my concern is that the outside of my right knee is very painfull, and feels like a lump of concrete, is this normal ? or is it out of alighnment. i can go up and down stairs normally (still painfull), hop on my static bike, easier go backwards than forwards. love to hear from the forum. cheers.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello Peter,  I am 19 weeks post op on my right knee TKR.  I am in the states and at week 12 my surgeon x-rayed knee and told me everything was looking great.  Did you have a x-ray?  I would think if you did it should be ok unless you did something to get it out of alinement.  But if you are worried, the best thing to do is contact your surgeon or your family doctor.  

I am not having pain in my knee except when I overdo it.  I can manage the stairs somewhat "normally" it is painful going going down, the pain goes down my shin and even with my bend of 120 it seem like my leg doesn't really want to clear the stair.  Going up stairs my knee does feel very heavy and I have to work to try and go up normally.   I think that is because I am not strong enough yet.  At the gym I am doing the bike and elliptical with no problem.   

M.A.

• Posted

No Matt I haven't had an x ray. But I will see my go. Cheers

• Posted

cheers mat, i will see my g.p, i am due to see my consultant nex month, i am in the uk.
  • Posted

If you feel things are out of alignment then I think you really need to see the consultant who replaced your knee.

Not sure where you live but I had TKR 6 years ago at Hereford and had an excellent consultant.

If you live anywhere near Hereford I could give you his name if you like. I would recommend him to anyone.

Good luck with all this, hope it is nothing serious and settles down.

Keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

cheers sarah. i will see my gp, also due to see my consultant next month.
  • Posted

Hey Peter, sounds like your doing good, what does doctor think about your pain ? Or physical therapist? I'm 4 years post-op RTKR / left knee 3 months later. It takes time to recover from knee replacement / physical therapy and daily exercise really is the key. I'm better now than I was a year ago. Spent a year and a half in PT 3 times a week. Good health to you.

• Posted

cheers dave, ak on meds but dont seem to make any difference, pains not too bad, some days are better than other days. due to see my consultant next month. as for my phsio, off his books now as he seems happy with me, may try to get a second opinion
  • Posted

Time, work and patience.  That's it.  We hear "concrete" all the time...a very common description.  Click on my name and then "See All Discussions".  Lots of stuff out there to answer your questions...

• Posted

Hi Peter,

I had a similar issue, although I described it has having a knot in the side of my knee. When I went back to see the surgeon for a follow-up visit, he told me not to worry, my knee was fixed and it was was the body's reaction to surgery (the body trying to build scar tissue due to the trauma of the operation) and it was extremely important to keep going with physio and exercise. I always felt for the first 6 months I was going two steps forward and one step back, but I kept going with stretching and bending exercises diligently. It probably wasn't until I got 12 months out from surgery that I could look back and say that I was happy with the decision to have a TKR. I've now got 130 degree bend, and only some very occasional momentary twinges of pain (probably wouldn't even call it pain). Of course, if you're concerned, it doesn't hurt to speak with your surgeon just to be certain, but it sounds to me like you are doing well and your journey is quite normal. My surgeon told me I could expect to be making small improvements even up to 2 years later. It's now been 4 years and I get around like I have a normal knee ... up and down stairs all day without any problem, no more aching at night whilst in bed etc. I can walk 10,000 steps a day without any problems. Having said all that, though, I still make sure I follow my surgeon's advice ... I don't go running or jogging or lift heavy weights at the gym. 

Of course, I realise that not everyone who has a TKR has a great result, but it sounds like your journey is quite normal.

All the best.

• Posted

cheers, thanks for your reply, yes i think i am doing ok, just a bit concered, i see my consultant next month
  • Posted

Are you in UK? Your physio or GP could probably put your worries at ease...if concerned check with them but it doesnt sound unusual ...I remember mine feeling like a lump of concrete!

• Posted

cheers jenny, i will see my gp, to try and get a second opinion from a different phsio, also due to see my consultant next month

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.