14 Weeks In

Posted , 8 users are following.

Well I cant believe I’ve got this far from the first 6 weeks where I could hardly move my knee and I’m thinking ‘what have I done’!!!

I have worked my socks off, from knee lunges to squats to cycling, swimming, power walking, standing on 1 leg (bad knee) and taking the dog for a walk and anything else that has been thrown at me.

I have never been a great gym person but have found that if I want to get better and back to normal you have to put the work in.

When I first saw my physio my knee bend was 84 then it went to 105, then 110 and now it’s 118 degrees.

I can go up and down stairs, power walk and now learning to run again. Knee still weak so it’s more like a crab running.

Anyway guys what I’m telling you all is, we have to put the work in if we want to get back to living life to the full and not limp around like monkeys.

Dont forget to Ice knee after all exercise and if it aches try Nurofen plus.

When I get into bed at night I find Voltorol very good, rub in and around knee and also the back of the knee and leg, but not over the scar.

Without reading your messages, I would have given up weeks ago, so thank you.

Sue

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Sue, totally agree with you if you don't exercise you will never get the full use of your knee after surgery, I exercise regular and i am now 12 weeks after TKR, I went for my first bike ride and managed 8 miles a little sore when i got back which i expected, also went for a long walk of about 4 miles not the same day like lol, i have now been released from physio and my surgeon doesn't want to see me for 10 months, i am just waiting for my work place to allow me to go back as my surgeon signed me off for 4 months and its only been 3 months so i have to wait another month before i can go back? knee getting better everyday now stopped medication from doctors and just taking co-codamol when required, we must remember only do what your knee allows you to do, max

• Posted

Agreed, hated the idea of pt when I broke my femur. But I have to work my butt off if I'm ever gonna be normal again. Gotta stay positive :D

• Posted

Congrats Sue after this redue from a uni to a TKR I hope to be saying the same thing!!
  • Posted

Well done! It's going to continue to improve too.

Not sure about the running? Have you been told this is ok?

Not generally recommended post TKR as far as i know.

• Posted

Thanks Jenny,

I play tennis (doubles),and physio knows this as Im only in my 50'

so she is teaching me to run.

I also have extra exercises to build up the muscles.

• Posted

Sounds good! Yes, important to enjoy life! I too am in early 50's!

I enjoy yoga and swimming, walking, and am on my feet a lot as a fine artist who paints large abstract paintings. Its fantastic to be able to move again!

• Posted

I was a marathon runner for years in my youth...and then as I got older mostly ran 5 and 10k runs.  Because of knee pain didn't run for the last couple of years.   So the first thing I did when I talked to the surgeon about knee replacement is how soon can I start running after the surgery...He looked at me in disbelief and told me NEVER!  I started crying and that freaked him out.  He said that the knee replacement will last normally 15 to 20 years...he said you are a engineer, think of the pressures that a normal knee takes just walking...and then what happens when you run.  He then said if you do decide to run you will be back in here in 5 to 10 years for a new knee.   So I don't know about you but I am learning to love just power walking and riding my bike.  

• Posted

I'm not doing marathons, but I love my tennis and miss playing.

Doubles only as I know I will never be able to play singles even my consultant said told me this.

best wishes

Sue

• Posted

Congrats! You sound so determined and upbeat - good to hear. My right tkr is tomorrow, had the other one done last Feb. It turned out well but has been a long haul. Who knows, this one might be easier.

We do have to put the work in to achieve the best results.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.