lateral meniscus tear suggested partial meniscectomy no repair

Posted , 4 users are following.

Anyone have this issue and procedure?  Once the partial meniscectomy is completed how does the knee recovery?  Isn't no cartilage that bone to bone?  One would think the pain would continue.  Is this worth the procedure??

In addition to rising/lowering to seats/toilets; in/out of vehicles; walking up/down stairs, I'm having pain lying down on my bed trying to sleep - none weight bearing.

Surprised that the surgeon isn't interested in trying to stitch it together only remove.  MRI says the meniscus looks good other than the tear.

Just recovered from two shoulder surgeries in 2017.  Not looking forward to another on my knee; wearing a hinged brace at the moment. Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I just had a lateral release/menisectomy/bone spur removal arthroscopy this morning on my left knee. I had it on my right knee last year (minus the release). My right knee is better than before surgery. Doctor just cut away loose meniscus to clean up any floating particals. It wont grow back, but if its torn, its not doing its job anyway. I have read people who wish they didnt have the surgery, but im glad i did on the right. Too much pain to tell on the left...im only 11 hours post-op 😊

• Posted

I had a radial tear of lateral meniscus. My meniscus is healthy and larger(partial discoid).

I did a lot of research on the question your asking. In that research if your tear is in the white zone you can’t stitch it bc it will not get a blood supply to heal it. Only if there is a lot of debris or if it is torn in the joint and locking your knee should the cartiledge be removed.

The pain can last 3-4 mos, but it will go away!!!!

If you haven’t done PT you should. It helps to push you over your fears like walking down those steps. 

Low toilets suck.. that we can’t change.

Try not to protect your bad knee by relying too much on your good knee, bc then you’ll get compensatory pain. 

I didn’t get surgery and my knee isn’t bad. Of course, it’s not gonna be 100% bc u damaged it, but it will be no better getting the cartiledge cut out if it’s a simple tear. Plus, surgery will increase your risk for early arthritis

Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you. I'm using the hinged brace. I will not have this surgery at this time. The knee surgeon did not specify red or white zone. I know it's a linear oblique tear based on MRI results but no info on size. Feeling uninformed. Was not offered PT. Might call and ask about PT although waiting to hear back from secretary from Mon messaged. Frustrating that they don't return calls or acknowledge calls. Maybe today.

• Posted

You should get it taken care of. It will never get better on it's own and could get worse. It's an outpatient procedure. You'll be on crutches for a bit and the knee will be swollen. Ive had it twice on the same knee. Don't be scared. It's a very routine procedure and will relieve your pain.

• Posted

Let me repeat.. cutting out a tear does not make it better!!! Your cutting out a tear only if it locks your joint. 

It puts you into risk for early arthritis and making you bone on bone. That doesn’t make you better lol

I’m a medical/radiology technologist for 15 years. 

Get the physical therapy going and you’ll see improvement. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.