Trimalleolar fracture

Posted , 5 users are following.

I’ve posted in here a few times but now I’m wondering about the recovery process as my normal doctor won’t be at my next appointment. I had surgery on the 24th of May. Had a splint for 2 weeks. Have been in a cast for 2 weeks and now 2 more to go.  Just wondering from those who have had this break or something similar when will I be able to start bearing weight and driving? Once I get my cast off, it’ll be 6 weeks of NWB since surgery and just wondering about how much longer it’ll be..

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I had a trimalleolar fracture in August (almost 2 years ago) and was walking (with cane) by November. After the 6 weeks of NWB, Physical Therapy gets you moving on it almost immediately. It gets better, I promise. I have a lot of pins, plates, and screws but can do pretty much everything I could do before. 

• Posted

I was completely NWB for 8 weeks. My surgeon wouldn't even entertain the thought of driving until the 3 month mark and actually preferred that I didn't drive for 4 months. I ended up slowly returning to driving at the 3 month mark. The big issue with driving, especially if it is your right side that is affected, is they want to be sure that if needed you can slam on the brakes.

• Posted

You and I seem to be on the same trajectory - I broke my ankle May 27th and had surgery June 1st. Was in a splint for 1 week and then put into a hard cast. Had that hard cast replaced after 2 weeks so they could reset my ankle at a 90 degree angle. Will be in this cast until mid-July (6 week mark) when I'll get a boot but still be NWB. At the 8 week mark they'll determine if I can start PWB while in the boot. Then I'll be PWB until mid-September (14 week mark) when they'll remove a screw that is currently restricting my motion. Following the screw removal I will be able to move to FWB. Hoping they can move this along as I can't bear the thought of waiting til mid-September to properly move! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.