Starting Mirtazapine, do you always get fat?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I dont really post, but I since have read about all this weight gain with mirtazapine from everyone, I am wondering if its a case of "You only hear bad news and nobody ever wants to rave about how sucessfull the drug is". Kind of like watching the evening news. Its always about murder, terrorism and disaster. Never about happy amazing changes in the world.

Anyways, I currently take

-Dexamphetamine 25mg daily

(ADD stimulant medication for my ADD that i have taken for 10 MONTHS, i never used to treat my ADD and had panic attacks since a teen before stimulant medication).

Clonazepam/Klonopin 0.25mg to 0.5mg daily (for panic attacks and have also been on this for 10 MONTHS.)

I have suffered panic attacks and depression for well over a decade and I have tried ;

Prozac,

citalopram,

zoloft,

Pristiq,

Luvox,

reboxetine,

strattera,

bupropion,

cymbalta,

antispychotics,

and im sure i am missing a few.

Non of them helped anxiety and non ever touched my depression.

The only thing thats helped my anxiety is the klonopin/clonazepam,

but i dont want to stay on this forever as i know its addictive, dependant and I know it causes brain/memory problems and increases dementia risk. + it is acfually making me more depressed.

More background.

I also have eating disorders and obsess over my weight. Being fat =severe depression. So its not an option for me.

Im wondering how many people dont gain weight on this? and how long were/are you on it for? I was reading diet and exercise doesnt help either because the drug changes the way you store fat etc increase appetite.

Also, is anyone else taking it alongside an ADHD med and find that the ADHD med counteracts the weight gain side effect and they dont gain weight?

I am currently a "healthy" weight, but am at the highest end of "healthy", so a 4lb gain will drop me in the 'just' overweight category, so in other words, i cant afford the extra lbs.

I have started Mirtazapine last night at half a 15mg tab (7.5mg) and it made me groggy, and this morning when i woke i felt spacey. I know this isnt a theraputic dose for anxiety etc, but im going to work my way up slowly.

Thanks for all of your help guys =)

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,  I started to take Mirtazapine 15mg I only lasted ten days.  In that time I put on 4 kilos, had awful nightmares, was dizzy all the time to the point of thinking I was going to pass out and my mouth became so dry I got deep cracks in my tongue that were really painful.  The only other medication I take is Venlafaxine 225mg for depression it worked really well.  Not hugely helpful just letting you know my experience.  Hope things improve for you very soon 

• Posted

Hi there

Mirtazapine has been used for patients with eating disorders (anorexia).  It slows down the metabolism.  I’m sure that some people may NOT have succumbed to weight gain whilst taking.this drug but the bald fact is most patients do.  No matter if you restrict your diet and do more exercise.  

I was on it for just over 5 months.  I’m a runner and have never been overweight in my life.  I’m 5 foot 10 and was always a size 10/12.  Even whilst restricting my calorie intake and running whilst on 15mg, I put on nearly 10 kilos in weight.  Stomach was always bloated too.  This was definitely Mirtazapine as I don’t take any other medication.  I stopped taking it because of the weight gain as that made me more depressed.  I wish I could write something positive but people posting on this site are only telling it like it is

• Posted

I'm on 15mg. In 8 weeks I have put on 6Kg. In the evenings I have a raging hunger and never seem to feel full.

• Posted

I would advise you too try another ad only my advice it's up too you I put on 2 n a half stone in a year I'm off now for 8 weeks and withdrawals are horrific xxx

• Posted

Hi, you only gain weight if u give in to the feeling of wanting to eat more than the norm. It can increase your appetite, so just eat healthy meals. I have gained about 7 pounds which is not a great deal. This med has given me my life back. It helps me sleep and takes edge of feeling depressed. Remember a tablet is like a bandage, it helps things heal. In this case your mind. It can only do so much, u have to help yourself too. Think positive thoughts, get out and do things. Be thankful for each day. Don't sit and be by yourself and think negative things. This tablet takes time to work, up to 4 weeks, sometimes sooner. Give it a try. The first few days you'll feel sleepy but your body will adjust to the new meds. Only read positive reviews on this Medication and there are a lot. Everyone reacts differently to it but most say it works. Good luck.

• Posted

Wow thanks for all the responses, although, I was hoping they were going to be of good news lol.

It really seems this drug puts weight on EVERYONE.

Its like for every post where someone says Mirt made them lose weight, there are 200 posts thst say mirt made them gain. Scary stuff!!

I am on my 4th dose (nightly) so far(first 2 days were 7.5mg and last night and tonight were 15mgs.

I have noticed It is really hard to not only wake up, but to actually get out of bed after ive woken up. I feel like a sluggish mess.

But then I take my dexamphetamine for adhd...it sort of balances it out a little, but im still more sedentary now. Ive noticed i sit around a lot more.

Im also wanting to eat more and have given in on occasion to irresistible temptation like the oreos tonight =/

So far I have gone DOWN 200grams in weight since day 1 weigh-in. (lost 0.4 lbs)... which is virtually nothing.

I also feel what sounds lkke depersonalization (like im viewing myself and hearing myself from a distance and watching my life from a distance... very weird feeling. )

Dispite feelkng groggy. I am havjng insomnia on this drug. It took me till 230am to fall asleeep after takkng it at 8pm last night, and i only fell asleep after taking a benzo.

Anyone else experience insomnia on this??

thanks again for all of your replies. xxx

Sam

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.