Knee support when sleeping

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi 

ive tried using a pillow between knees at night but it slips, does anyone have any recommendations 

thanks

ps 8 weeks in small improvements, up to 70% from regular physio but scar tissue internally and swelling making it very slow

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I have been trying to find a way to sleep on my side as well, can’t find a comfortable position for any length of time. Never been a back sleeper.

I’m 5 weeks post op & very much over this no sleeping thing. 

Hoping to find some advice here as well and find out it’s not just me!!

• Posted

Try a big, long "body pillow:...you can really get wrapped up in one.  PS: This is very temporary.  All the worst stuff is usually gone by 12 weeks or so.

• Posted

Hi Simon,I’m 8months TKR now and I always slept on my side, but the surgeon told me never put a cushion or pillow directly under your knee but what he told me next made a massive difference he said place a pillow length ways and lay your leg onto it just above the knee and down to your calf muscle and it’s so much more comfortable,I know your on your back instead of your side,but my god when you need sleep it works.
  • Posted

My surgeon told me he was fine with anyway I wanted to sleep. I don’t have a body pillow but I use a  king size bed pillow. Using it vertically from thigh to calf between my legs helps. I still struggle with comfort - changing sides and adjusting position but it is better than sleeping on my back. I tried buying a knee cushion initially. It is about 1.5 feet long and sort of a figure eight shape. Supposed to fit nicely between your knees and offer support. Don’t waste your money. Definitely the most uncomfortable option! 
  • Posted

A pillow under the knee feels good its not acceptable at least according to Dr.'s nurses and therapists. The goal is to be able to straighten your knee keeping a pillow under will cause your leg to have slight bend. I am only a tad over 2 weeks but been thru this way too any times laying flat on my back takes getting use to but its the least painful way for me to get to sleep another method I lay on my L side ( my L knee is the bad one ) I put my pillow so when I place my R leg the pillow is between both knees. None of these are perfect and sometimes you get so exhausted from lack of sleep it really does not matter

• Posted

sleeping is tough at first; I slept in my recliner for the first two months, at least.  then when moved to bed, I used the pillow technique also, but if it slipped, I would wake up and put it back. No easy way to sleep unless you get your doc to prescribe some sleep medication.  Or go to drugstore and get your own.  sorry....... it's tough, this whole TKR thing.  Good luck

• Posted

TKR  Patients &  Sleeping Problems.

My recommendation: GABAPENTIN 300 mg or half a capsule 150 mg. This is  the TKR Revision medication prescribed by Prof Charnlee the leading  TKR surgeon in Thailand at Lerdsin Orthopedic Center Bangkok.

”GABA” side effects: drowsiness. No problem,  half a US gallon of strong coffee, No Sugar! 

Cheers, Bangkok-Johnny 

• Posted

Not sure what GABA is.  I sleep fine now.  I was referring to the first few months post op.  Thailand huh?  No thanks
  • Posted

Keeping a pillow directly under your knee is a no no, but as I said a pillow length ways then rest your leg from just above the knee down to the calf is and this won’t cause any bend to the leg as the whole leg is straight and a hell of a lot more comfortable,it’s so hard to get any sleep early on so any comfort may get you a few extra hours and sleep is essential to your recovery.
  • Posted

Hi simon can totally sympathise but it does get better. I ept with pillow lengthways from knee to toes. Only thing that worked plus 2 paracetamol 1 hr before bed. I'm 14 weeks now and sleep no problem so good times to come. Be patient

• Posted

Hi All

thanks for the input, just to clarify, the pillow goes between both knees whilst I’m laying on my side.  I’ve only just graduated back to this comfy position and it’s how I usually sleep. I’ve seen on other sites people use a 6ft pillow and sort of cuddle up to it and I think I’ll give that a go.. 

without the pillow my bad knee just clunks my good knee and then they both hurt😳

• Posted

I’m like you only recently been able to be in my note natural sleeping position on my side - I’m using a slim / flattish but medium sized cushion it’s less bulky than a pillow and most of time stays put! I think a big pillow in this weather might make you very hot? Or hotter! 
  • Posted

I’m finding more swelling in this hot weather - drink more water, ice and elevate more often may help. I lost a bit of bend because of this but just gently persuading knee to go further  a mm at a time on exercises - gently but persistently ! 
  • Posted

I am 8 weeks out and still sleeping in recliner or couch with leg elevated. Also still wrapped with long ace bandage to make sure it does not bend. I have tried to sleep in bed and just don’t last past 2 hours. This is the only way I can sleep comfortably. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.