2 Years Post-Op

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had my surgery 2years ago.. Actually it was a DOUBLE one as I did both feet together. It was agonizing but it was worth it. My only regret is that I didn’t do physiotherapy as advised and my knees and calf/shin weakened from post-operative 3-months’ immobility and lack of exercise and I now have serious problems: I can’t squat, kneel or bend over. Is there any exercise/therapy I can do to rectify this? Thank you.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Gee... I’m just guessing here, but if it’s been ,“two years”, I don’t know “if” it’ll get better?  Good luck, hope someone else can be encouraging.
  • Posted

Of course you can get better! The body is a healing machine...

Start off slowly with non weight bearing exercise such as Aqua (gold standard/good for flexibility of your feet too) or spinning. I would DEFINITELY add Pilates as this will build strength stability as well as help with alignment. 

Don't ever give up on yourself and your body. You are unique and wonderfully made smile

• Posted

Thank you my dear for your encouraging words. Greatly appreciated! And yes I HAVE to start exercising. I’ll go slow but promise to try Pilates. Lots of luv ❤️
  • Posted

Hi Loubie

I would go to physio as I haven’t heard of anyone that this has happened to,and also start rubbing in voltaran cream & hirudoid cream that’s what my surgeon told me ,it’s important that you start working on it ASAP good luck and let me know how you go

Shirley Australia 👍

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response. You’re right, I should start physio ASAP along with exercising. Will keep you posted xox 
  • Posted

I've had various operations on my feet, bunion removal as like you a double op, in 2014.....then right big toe fusion in 2016, and left toe fusion thus March just gone.

I didn't have physiotherapy after any of the operations but do understand when you say about weakening of the knees etc.... I literally saw my calf's losing muscle weekly...

I'm now 17 weeks post op and unfortunately my last op on my left foot hasn't

gone to plan, it was revised surgery so having things go wrong twice is a nightmare, and although my toes/foot is still in a fair bit of pain I try to go for a walk daily.... I have a particular walk that I tend to take as it goes through a park so I know that I can sit for a while  and have a little rest....it's what I term the loop

as it's a walk from my house and goes in a circle back home, it has 3 routes of differing lengths the shortest taking just over an hour.... 

As long as I've something to look at along the way, gardens mainly, I'm happy and

it really does help with strengthen all parts of my leg

As the weather is lovely that's a bonus too.

Start slowly and build up, it did take me a few weeks to get going.

Fingers crossed my left foot will come right in the end.

• Posted

Thanks for the detailed reply misskh, greatly appreciated. Will start physio and regular exercise and hopefully my weakened muscles can be strengthened and I’ll get better.. Best wishes for your recovery too my dear xox
  • Posted

Dearest Ladies

Just a quick update.. Over the last 2 months I have diligently walked, swam, did aqua exercises and started Qigong. The results were AMAZING! I'm slowly but surely strengthening my muscles and feel much better already. I didn't start pyshio though but will do shorty. In a nut shell: it's never too late to work on your body and never say never.. A BIG THANK you to everyone who encouraged me. Have a lovely day xox

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.