Starting Humira

Posted , 5 users are following.

My RA score was high so dr added Humira to my Methotrexate. Has it helped anyone? Pain returns after stopping prednisone. Don’t want  to be on it all the time. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I loved Humira! I felt normal again.  Unfortunately I had to stop it and 20 mg methotrexate when my neutrophils dropped significantly. My symptoms returned with a vengeance and when I resumed my meds but on a slightly lower methotrexate dose of 15 mg I never got the same relief.  That was my experience but I hope you get the same benefits without the side effects.  Best wishes.  Carol

Oh, and I noticed the benefits within days. I couldn’t believe it but it’s true. 

• Posted

Thanks carol that sounds promising. It’s just crazy how your life changes. Can’t wait to get back to normal. 
  • Posted

I have been on Humira for 13 years!  I am off all the other meds-methotrexate, prednisone,  Arava.  I have no joint damage and very little pain.  Now that I am on Medicare it is very expensive but my doctor does not want me to change because it works so well for me.  I hope it works for you!!
    • Posted

You mentioned the humira being so expensive now that you are on Medicare. My neighbor had the same situation and while humira was not covered under medicare’s Prescription. The Infusuion is covered because it is considered a medical procedure.  I am on the shots so I don’t know if humira is offered via an infusuion but it might be worth asking.   
    • Posted

It is not offered as an infusion.  I paid $5.00 a month before Medicare, I now pay about $1,600 for the first two months and then a little over $200 the rest of the year.  Medicare and my supplement insurance do pay each month or it would be higher!  It is worth it to me, when RA first started I could not go up the stairs in our two story house built in 1906!  I could not get my arms over my head to do my hair!  We did not have to move, love this old house!  And I do my hair every day!  I am afraid to change my medication, I still work in our family business, I am active in our Chamber and our church,  go to my granddaughters activities!  Life is good!
    • Posted

That would be worth it to me. Infusion takes a few hours.  I am not sure what medicine is used via the infusion but for people who can’t pay the 1600.00 it is an option.

i also agree that we need to be able to move.  At first I could hardly hold a cup of coffee and now do weights that are 8 lbs.  

• Posted

Hello

Ive been on Humira alongside mtx for about 14 to 15 yrs now. It stabilised my levels immediately and the pain went away to the point of being off work for ages (building trade) to going back full on within 3 weeks of being on it. Alongside all of thatl, being positive is a must.

I wish you all the best

Gaz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.