Question about returning to work after thyroid needle biopsy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I know the Doctor or Person performing this procedure would be able to give me more specific information, but I'm asking the community for a general idea so I'll know how to schedule my work day.

Back in May, I had gone to the ER for a different issue.  A CT scan was taken to diagnose the issue.  From the CT scan their was an incidental finding of a nodule on my thyroid. 

It was followed up a couple weeks later with an ultrasound. 

I then got a call from my PCP's office saying they wanted to do a biopsy and scheduled me for an appointment next week.

As the title indicates, can I go back to work immediately after I'm released from the hospital?  While I wouldn't describe my work as strenuous, I am on my feet all day, walking around, and doing some bending and stooping.

What have others experiences been?

Thank you.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Francis, are they going to do an FNA with ultrasound? If so then it may be a little sore but nothing that would stop you from working. If another form of biopsy then I don't know. But generally they do an Ultrasound guided FNA, which is fine.

Hope it goes well. I have had, over the years, 4 FNAs & it is nothing.

All the best

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Hi francis,

A fine needle biopsy isn't that bad. I did however take the day off to do mine. But that is only because I had to travel two hours both ways to a different city to have mine done. I think I was more anxious about it then anything so I appreciated having the full day off to go and pamper myself afterwards.

• Posted

I have one tomorrow.. did you end of taking the next day off?

• Posted

I actually did go to work the same day right after the procedure was done. I didn't experience any issues at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.