Knee cortisone (steroid injections )

Posted , 12 users are following.

I was due for a tkr last December but the op was cancelled due to bmi being too high for nhs rules .

i received a cortisone injection which has been amazing for 3 months and only recently wore off , this week I’ve recieved a 2nf injection - in the 3 months I’ve lost 2 stone by being able to work and hope to lose more weight in the coming months ,

have cortisone injections worked for people on here and how many can you have done in total?

if I continue to lose weight is it possible with the injections to put off the tkr for a couple more years ?

interested to hear how others have got on with cortisone injections

best wishes, 

‘mark 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Shedding the weight always puts less pressure on the knee joint.  Whether it puts off a TKR is a decision between you and your doc. 

Another thing to try is Synvisc.  There is a single injection protocol that can last for up to six months or a three injection regimen (days 1, 8 and 15) that can last up to a year.  This worked GREAT for me for many years.  I did the TKR when the surgeon said that neither cortisone nor Synvisc would provide much relief for any decent length of time.  That's when the train pulls into the station at the end of the line...

• Posted

In California, they won't do a TKR or PKR if cortisone injections are giving you some relief. My wife was getting them every 3 months and only had the PKR when they didn't help any longer. I don't think there is a time limit for the injections they just don't like to give them too often.

• Posted

I agree with Chico Marx...I did the Synvisc and it helped for a while but the insurance only pays to have it done every 6 months and after a while it was wearing off after 3 months and I was back in terrible pain. 

But yes it should buy you some time to lose weight.  

• Posted

Hi Eastie so pleased to hear the injections worked for you.Mine actually lasted for over a year.Im not sure how often you can have injections but I know of people who have had them a few times.

I had my knee done in January & my advice to you if you’re continuing to lose weight and can get the injections again I personally would postpone the surgery .

A tkr is not a pleasant operation and I have had a hip done & 2 spinal fusions so it’s not that I’m afraid of surgery.Let’s say I won’t be having the other one done lol.Good luck in whatever you decide.??

• Posted

That’s exactly what I did, injections nearly always helped over a 5/6 year period and delayed surgery for 3 years. Have you been told that after injection you must stay off feet as much as possible - really rest up - for minimum 24 hrs? 
  • Posted

By the way my very good professor of Rheumatology said could have them for as long as they were helping - generally helped 3/5 months each time so had a3-4 times in year. GPs sometimes iffy about this so if in doubt ask for expert opinion. 

Also - when time comes to see surgeons it’s best they see you without cushion of the injection relief - they need to assess you accurately . 

• Posted

I had injections before my TKR.  they stopped working after awhile though, unfortunately.....  Put off TKR as long as you can though.l Research research...............
  • Posted

Hi I had a cortisone injection and it workdedreally well last year before I went on holiday , able to walk no pain , it gradually wore off , had it end of May by about September I had another , it seemed to immediately make it worse so I didn’t muck around booked in for op . When I was going through the pre op history with the a  hospital doctor I mentioned I felt second injection had made it worse and she agreed with me saying it can do that . I expect everyone is different but don’t expect it to keep working on you knee . I wasn’t going to leave it to get worse and limp around in pain 
  • Posted

Cortisone is a double edged sword. It can provide relief but it also promotes joint deterioration so knee replacement eventually becomes a necessity 

After LTKR May 2017 with complications I want to postpone right knee replacement as long as possible. A cortisone injection only worked two weeks for me then I had to wait 6 months to get a Synvisc injection which took 3 months to take effect before providing relief. It’s been three months of decreased pain and I can get another Synvisc injection in August but then the protocol in Virginia is no surgery for 6  months afterwards

Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks all for your replies , the first injection I did have awful pain the next day but 48 hours later it felt much better - this time I didn’t have any pain the next day although I booked a couple of days off work holiday just in case .

before the surgeon decided to go for tkr I did have ostenil injections for a couple of years but these are the first cortisone ones I’ve had - I’m due to see surgeon again in November but the injections are on the nhs in England so I don’t need to pay .

when I asked him if they could damage the knee more he said that i was already at the stage where I need a tkr so there was little further damage risk from cortisone injections .

I am 52 so if the cortisone do help prolong things for a couple of years and buy me some time I will try and continue to lose weight to further my cause.

i  work in a job which involves a lot or walking and lifting and use codeine and naproxen as well to help with the pain .

the replies here have been interesting and helpful - many thanks 👍

• Posted

I believe they only like to give cortisone three times.  Each shot wears off quicker than the one before. I also had the series of injections that contained the rooster comb and that did not work at all. Continue losing weight and you may also have less pain in your knee. Good luck

• Posted

Hi just to clarify that three to four guidance is per year but it’s ofteh misquoted even by doctors...
    • Posted

So if they continue to work for me I could go maybe 2 or 3 years with the cortisone injections as long as no more than 3 a year?
    • Posted

Yes that’s what I did for 5 years. Once or twice at most they didn’t help so much. The feet up / rest leg for 24-48 hrs after is important to avoid initial flare up reaction and get best from it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.