Stent causing excruciating pain after Kidney Stone removed

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all. I’m a 26 y/o female from Ohio. I just got out of the hospital today. I had a UTI and a Kidney Stone. They performed surgery to remove the stone and placed a stent that will need to be removed by them in a week. However, I am in the worst pain and discomfort of my life. The stent itself is causing unbearable cramping and bladder spasms. Plus the UTI isn’t helping. Fortunately, my urine is not burning anymore but I am no longer outputting much since I left the hospital. What I am outputting is bloody drops. The bloody urine is normal based on my understanding so I am not concerned with that. 

What I am concerned with is the fact that I feel like I’m dying and I don’t think I can do this for a week. I can’t fall asleep for more than 20 minutes without waking up feeling some sort of pressure or pain. The only relief I get comes from (and I apologize for the TMI) masturbating because an orgasm makes the cramps subside for like 5 minutes which are the most glorious 5 minutes of my life. I am on Norco and Cipro but I don’t feel any relief. Can someone please help? I don’t know what to do or if this pain is normal. I can’t do anything. I can’t lay. I can’t stand. I don’t want to speak to anyone. I feel like I’m going to lose my mind. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

The only thing that helped with my stent (and that included heavy narcotics) was an over the counter drug in the US is called Azo which is phenazopyridine. 

I took 100 mgs 4x a day until the stent was out. 

• Posted

I feel for you. I’ve had terrible pain from stents in the past. I’m in the uk. They gave me something to stop the spasms which helped a bit and I also found Voltarol suppositories was the only Medicine  that took my pain away.  Diclofenac sodium is the ingredient. I hope that you can ask for that. Good luck and hope you are better soon. 
  • Posted

I’m sorry to hear that, a stent is miserable pain I had one last year and I could barely stand it for a week it caused so many problems but things to help... DRINK A LOT OF WATER I MEAN A CRAZY AMOUNT it helps for peeing.. also take a bath, it’s a lot easier to pee in a bath sound gross but it works for relief with pain as well, and a heating pad will be your best friend. I have a nephrostomy tube in right now sucks just as bad! 
  • Posted

Hey again, all. So I ended up going back to the ER based on inability to handle the pain. They didn’t admit me but they did give me morphine and another antibiotic. They also said that I am incredibly constipated from the meds so that could explain the cramping. Right now I feel pretty good. Although I have some mild pressure and a little bit of cramping, I am feeling much better than I was a few hours ago. The doctor said the first 48 hours are the hardest & women experience the worst pain. Of course, haha. But thank you all for the suggestions and well wishes! I am going to check in here periodically in case the pain starts up again. 

• Posted

I had a stent in for 10 months..at one point I had a double. There were times I peed 40x daily..there was one day 86x. It was the worst time of my life. But..believe me...you will get through this. You are young and will bounce back quickly. Rest as much as you can and let the doctor know your discomfort. They have meds for spasms..and for pain. This too shall pass. You got this !
  • Posted

As mentioned above, a lot of water is good to flush.  Also the application of heat helped me.  Either via a heating pad or bath in the mid flank area provided some relief
  • Posted

Thank you for the positive update and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery and nonmore pain.
  • Posted

Being on norco should help, consider buying moltrin. This will help with the inflammation.

You take 4 moltrins every 8 hours, this would be considered moltrin 800

You can take 2400 mg. of moltrin a day. 4 tablets 3 times would be 2400 mg. See if this helps.

• Posted

Just wanted to say that I had a stent in for a week. Once it was taken out, I started feeling better almost immediately. I was my normal self after 48 hours. Just a heads up though....mucus and "stuff" forms around the stent, because your body considers it to be a foreign invader. Urinating for the first day or two after the stent is removed is........strange, but not painful in my experience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.