Gallbladder removal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ever since getting diagnosed with gallstones, my goal was to avoid surgery with diet and exercise but I think I screwed that up today. Ate so much food that I feel like I would burst (was the first time in a while that I had done so since getting diagnosed) and I ended up in one of the worst attacks ever. Felt like my gallbladder was pulsing and my worst fear was that it was going to burst. The attack overall was almost 2 hours but it was a debate of going to the hospital or not. 

I’ve been fine since then but I went to sleep and woke up a few minutes ago and it just hurts and I’m slightly nauseous. So I’m taking this as a sign that I most likely need it removed or things will just be so much worse from here. Can anyone share with me their own story because I’m super nervous about even saying yes to surgery, I’m only 16 and I worry that this will just make me worse off. I don’t think I can handle my life feeling like it’s falling apart all over. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi I suffered for years with gallstones I often felt very unwell and had attacks I was even hospitalised twice with a infection. If you have gallstones nothing with cure that..it's two weeks since I've had my gallbladder removed and already I'm feeling better I had a spicy curry tonight and all's well..good luck it will improve

• Posted

Thank you, it's relieving to hear a success story. Hope you continue to heal x

• Posted

Hi Jamie 1004, I can tell you I have just done exactly the same thing two days ago.  I got tempted to buy 3 little cakes, I ate one on the way home, one that night because i could not sleep, the last was yesterday after my salad.   I to have had the worst attack ever but the good thing is it has not kept up.   This is why I am angry at Dr's yes you can control GB with diet but there are times when you buy something hand made or from a bakery which does not have ingredients listed, however thats an excuse I knew I should not have brought them.

Some weeks back I had the old heart attack pains, definitely not to do with eating but more than likely stress as this was the only thing happening at the time.

A week ago I was laying in bed and had acid reflex which has seemingly left me with a cough throat.

MY health care is is in neglect and I have made enough people aware of my issue because the rate I am going my body is going to give somewhere.  The one thing I have learned from this site is, it does not really whether you have stones, sludge or anything else, if the GB is not working it effects other organs.

But you try getting Dr's and professionals to hear you.  I cant see anyone now until January next year, its a joke and a nightmare and anytime until then I could end up in severe pain wasting emergency services time because this is the GB.  It truly is pitiful state of affairs, YET some as you will read get great care. 

• Posted

I've already met the surgeon, just denied the surgery because it's something major (despite everyone saying it's minor) because I just wanted a month away from the doctors. Guess I'll be calling them back to make an appointment after I talk to family... Just sucks how even 'safe foods' for me can end up being trigger foods a week later. Living like this is no fun... I feel 'normal' but not the same normal as before.

• Posted

Very true Jamie, last December I was down to eating just toast, all the foods that were safe were by then causing me issues but this is because I now know Dairy is the problem and 90% of my diet is Dairy.  In January I started what I call the Chinese diet and this was Porridge made with either water or Coffeemate powedered milk chicken or beef chow mein for lunch and then Banana, Apple and Satsumas for dinner.  I was Gb free for 3 months then I had the Oscopies and started to re introduce foods that I stopped and this is how I found out it was Dairy.  My latest attach over a week ago was simply temptation, i brought from a baker home made cakes which were scrummy but has made me ill, its taken 6 days so far just to settle down but my stool and tummy are still upset, all the usual signs, yellow and very loose and also going more often even when your not eating much.  Its very weird how it works on the body.

I have been like this for years over 4 anyway and it was simply because of a friend I was talking to who told me what was wrong and it was her ideas when got me out of all the pain and discomfort, you can control the GB depending on your level of upset but your still going to have to deal with it at some point.  From what I have read in here even after removal some suffer with other issues but my thinking is I do not want live like I am.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.