Wearing of compression stockings

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had my TKR at the end of June so I am now 3 weeks post op. Did you have to wear compression stockings after your operation and how long were you told to wear them? I hate having to wear mine, but I am afraid of DVT if I don't wear them for the whole 6 weeks that I was told to.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Denise

Personally I didn’t but had to take blood thinners for 6 weeks. My friend did until 6 week check. Think it’s individual surgeons choice. 

• Posted

I was also told 6 wks and I kept them on for 6 weeks, your advised for a reason, yes they're horrible and uncomfortable but you health is paramount.

• Posted

Hi Denise it never was suggested to me to wear them.I had claxine injections for over 2 weeks.If you’re having anticoagulant injectors and are mobile I would think you should be fine.I’m quite high risk for clots as I ‘ve had 2 heart attacks.
  • Posted

I only had to wear mine until he took the staples out, which was 13 days.  I did continue to take one aspirin for five weeks and walked around the house and outside as much as possible.  The more active you are, the lower the chance of blood clots.  
  • Posted

Thanks for all your replies. I too had 10 days of the blood thinning injections as well as being given the stockings. It's interesting to find out the different post op procedures depending where you live. I am in the UK and had my op on the NHS.

Touch wood everything seems to be going OK. Wound healing nicely, still some swelling still but not too much, am able to potter around with 1 stick in the house and physiotherapist is satisfied with progress. Let's hope that it stays on track.

• Posted

Hi Denise it’s Pat again.I’m in UK too & our system seems very different to US.I was NHS too.From what I have gathered from these posts in England you are offered 6 weeks physio but here in NI we don’t get any.

As far as stockings are concerned it seems to depend on your surgeons preference.I was in a ward of 6 with different surgeons but nobody was wearing the stockings.

• Posted

I didn’t wear them. I took blood thinners for two weeks.  I’m 10 weeks out and no problems 
  • Posted

I didn’t wear them just too hot here , don’t think I was told to ,  had  them on in hospital , I think it depends on surgeon , I’m in Australia , was supposed to do physio at hospital but didn’t because it was Christmas and closed so never bothered after new year just did it myself 
  • Posted

I was told to wear until staples were removed but to take full aspirin until 6 week checkup. Five mo the today and doing very well. Good luck to you
  • Posted

I was never told to wear them but I am on blood thinners for life.
  • Posted

I'm from California and I never wore them and wasn't given any in the hospital. I asked about them though cause the TKR class I had to attend talked about having to wear them. If I remember right, my surgeon said it was old school. I took  low dose aspirin for 6 weeks to prevent DVT.  It seems a lot has changed from how they used to do things. My Mom had both of her knees replaced 10 years ago and my experience was very different than hers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.