Continuous Passive Motion Machine. Yes or No

Posted , 4 users are following.

so, had mua Tuesday night, consultant says he got it from 30 degree to 100 degree, spent 12 of next 15 hours on cpm machine at 0-90 degree to ensure that didn’t lose gain. Sent home with slightly conflicting advice. Consultant wanted me to do Physio daily for 2 weeks along with daily use of cpm machine. Physio said that I didn’t really need cpm machine as a) he didn’t have one to lend me and b) said I needed to do exercises anyway..

so woke up this morning and my knee is massive and in pain, mainly from soft tissue damage from mua and being forced to bend by cpm machine, I could barely bend knee but after speaking to Physio and sitting in a high chair and using a skateboard probably got to 75/80 degrees. 

The cpm machine  can be hired privately for £300 for a month which I’m happy to pay..

would you get one or not?

thanks for reading 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Heel slides and a floor pedal machine (about $30) with

exercises worked well for me. I wanted a CPM machine, but here in the US, my surgeon and physical therapist said it wasn't necessary. Over time, my flexion increased from 90 to 130 so patience, moderate exercise and time was what worked for me. Good luck

• Posted

Just got back from nhs Physio and he thought I’d be better off doing the various gym exercises he showed me. Managed to use a cross trainer as well though tough at first. He’s definitely of the cool that it’s going to hurt but you need to do it yourself and not let a machine do it.
  • Posted

Most definitely on the CPM I had one for 2 months in the continuous movement help a lot I still have a lot of problems now that I'm not using it but most definitely use it I think my problem is I build up scar tissue easier than most. And there's other issues going on that's the doctors not addressing so from my experience yes to the CPM. It helped with my first ACL and MCL meniscus surgery so much and again with total knee

• Posted

I don’t know if this is feasible for you but I am 6 weeks post op and doing ok but lost a bit of range ( which Physio tells me is actually to be expected after initial couple of weeks)  so  having some extra Physio as of yesterday . But I also suddenly started having more swelling and stiffness earlier this week which alarmed me. Anyway - what I wanted to say was that I decided to go try some exercise in the pool at my gym. Just doing my regular exercises in the water followed by a while in the nice hot jacuzzi and steam room.

It has really helped the exercises so much easier to do in water and really loosened knee up and reduced swelling. So either asking about hydrotherapy if it’s avsilsbke or DIY like me - surgeon and Physio approve by the way might be useful. 

Use pain killers before and after to keep that in check - and ice ice ice ! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.