Using the pool after TKR

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 6 weeks post op and doing ok but lost a bit of range ( which Physio tells me is actually to be expected after initial couple of weeks)  so  having some extra Physio as of yesterday . But I also suddenly started having more swelling and stiffness earlier this week which alarmed me. Not sure why maybe walking more or heat or just the recovery process ups and downs.

Had follow up with surgeon on Tues he is happy with progress, but he wants me to really push myself for next 6 weeks Ro maximise range of movement and build strength. Like lots of people my muscle  de-conditioning before op was quite bad. 

Anyway - what I wanted to say was that I decided to go try some exercise in the pool at my gym. Just doing my regular knee exercises in the water, a bit of walking laps and followed by a while in the nice hot jacuzzi and steam room. Yum.

It has really helped - the exercises are  so much easier to do in water ( in fact you have to be careful not to overdo it ) and it really loosened knee up and reduced swelling.

So people might want to ask about hydrotherapy if it’s available  or DIY like me - surgeon and Physio approve by the way might be useful. 

Use pain killers before and after to keep that in check of course  - and ice ice ice ! 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Pool is THE BEST.  Just make sure your doc OKs the knee submersion.  My guy said 6 weeks; other people have reported different times.  Just check.
    • Posted

I agree Chico some doctors seem to think there can be a bit of a risk of infection in a pool.I suppose it depends if your wound is totally healed.
    • Posted

hi yes dr ok'd it, wound healed incredibly quickly and well - dissolvable sutures. 

• Posted

hi, yes can see that but wound has been totally clean and very neat and tightly closed since dressing came off 2 weeks in.  A dr friend saw it then and said wow that's a great scar -are you sure an ortho surgeon did it lol! 

• Posted

Yes scars much better than they used to be when they used staples , mine was glued and healed up very quick and neat
    • Posted

Hi Jenny,

I've been told I will be stapled!! Should I be concerned?

GG

• Posted

I am about 8 weeks post op and I had a set back due to back and sciatica pain. Had to refrain from certain exercises and walking was limited. Now back to my own physio therapist who has done more for me than a rehab class of 8 patients, all recovering from total knee surgery and all at various recovery time, but all doing the same exercises. Looking into going to a gym and pool therapy also. I see my surgeon in 4 weeks and hoping I have a good rom, as I have not reached 90 in bend due to sciatica.

I agree pain meds before and after and ice and elevate.

• Posted

I found pool good too , but I think if your knee was swelling then you were overdoing it . Go at your own pace and you will be fine , I found movement varied day to day at the beginning , it’s normal , I never pushed it and am okay at7 mths .  If your knee gets overly swollen after exercise you are doing too much 
    • Posted

HI Jenny sorry I meant it had suddenly got stiff and swollen before the pool - I think from walking outside previous 2 days - not far but I think it is the hard pavement surface my knee does not like much.  I decided to go the first day as I had arranged to meet a friend there and didn't want to pull out at the last minute, and was just really gentle. But the immediate reduction in stiffness and swelling was quite dramatic!  Did a little more yesterday and still ok, slightly achey but think muscular more than anything. I will be cautious but also mindful of surgeon and physio advice to push myself a BIT at the moment. 

• Posted

Yes that’s the secret , do what you can cope with and it will be fine 
  • Posted

I had TKR  6 years ago and could not wait to get back in the swimming pool.

At my 6 week appointment consultant said I could go back in the pool but not to do breaststroke for another 6 weeks. I just wanted to swim as I do not like jacuzzi.

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.