Always getting ill... health anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

I struggle with really bad health anxiety and convince myself that I have cancer. For the past few months I seem the be picking up every viral infection/cold going which really makes the health anxiety worse😞 I’m sure your not meant to get ill in the summer (I live in the UK) does anyone else experience this?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I know exactly what your going through I get brain fog and convinced myself I had an infection on my brain I had a ct and blood done it all came back clear anxiety is a horrible thing it's normal to get a cold but where you have anxiety you think about it constantly 

• Posted

hi, i soent 2 years of my life agonising about my health and all the different things i could have. I went through EVERY single test known to man and in the end every single peoblem I had health wise was due to the stress on my body. i had cardiac tests done cause my heart kept jumping and skipping beats etc i have all kinds of scans cause of severe woman problems, i had constant eye problems and headaches and dizziness. i thought my throat was going to close as my glands were always swollen and I was always sick for 2 years. it turns out anxiety can cause stress on your body that DOES cause physical effects and causes your immune system to be lower. now i promise you when i was told this i said straight out 'NO this will never work for me nothing will cure me' BUT i was prescribed sertraline and the cognitive behavioural therapy (look it up on youtube) and did deep breathing techniques and did 10-30 mins of mindfulness meditation every day sometimes twice a day using an app called stop, think, breath. AND after a couple of weeks i could already feel such a huge difference. and never had a panic attack in almost 2 years now. i still get waves of panic now and again but from doing mindfulness i am able to stop it at the beginning and break it down to umderstand whats causing the anxity before it reaches the panic attack stage. hope this helps

• Posted

Hiya, thanks for the reply. I have recently been prescribed sertraline also but my first thought was "this is just papering over the cracks and "it's not going to stop me from getting ill". I seem to be getting some sort of viral infection every couple of weeks and i have convinced myself that i have leukemia for the past nearly 4 months now, i feel like i'm living my worst nightmare every day. I just swear it's not normal to get il this frequently.

• Posted

i know it seems that way but if u have had all tests from doctor and got the all clear.. i was so against the medication cause i said it was only covering over the issue too. but i worked with several doctors from beaumont hospital (in dublin) who advised that at the time my nerve endings were so raw that nothing would get through to me so i started them on a low dose and it just helped to take the edge off enough to be able to understand that hey im not the only 1 in the world going through these thoughts, its very common to believe you have a serious illness or are going to die. and a GP doesnt understand buta proper professional does. i have been off the medication after only being on it for under a year as i learned how to think for clearly and manage my stresses better. since i got the gelp i needed i am hardly ever sick. when for those 2 years i was at the doctors every week and they kept prescribing different medication to take INCASE it was this or that. but it was ALL stress related. i was sick every week or two and couldnt talk or swallow and its cause of the anxiety and stress. if you havent been to a gp for blood test maybe book one so u get that peace of mind. if u have maybe ask about being referred to psychiatry department in a hospital. it literally saved me and gave me back a life.
    • Posted

I have had 6/7 blood tests in the space of 4 months but still don’t feel reassured as I’m still getting ill. May I ask, in what way was you getting sick? Viral infections or ..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.