what level would you goto hospital

Posted , 6 users are following.

Anybody gone to hospital/utc with high blood pressure? What was your experience? Did they take you seriously?

My blood pressure is all the over the place like 125/90 - 160/110 i got given a second 24 hr ambulatory monitor check to see if I definitely need meds cause first inconclusive.

throughout the day this was like 153/111. According to websites distolic 110 means you should see doctor imediately or go to hospital. Seems a bit extreme as I feel fine apart from ongoing problem with fatigue, mild chest pain and most sites are US so over cautious.

Today its down to 126/100 but Im not at work and measured at rest unlike 24 thing.

I wont be able to get apointment for 4 weeks at least to see GP.

Worth going to urgent care centre or will they laugh me out the building? 

I have no experience of utc/hospitals hence not sure appropriate to use.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Are you in the UK? I'd go to A&E and say you're worried about your BP because of these readings. That 2nd number being consistently over 100 is not good and you are potentially walking a tightrope.

I went to A&E with an eye problem - they took my BP and it was 250/110 - they immediately hospitalised me and I've been on meds for nearly two years.

Take this as an early warning before something serious happens and get mediacal attention.

• Posted

Is your meter any good?  Are you taking any drugs now?  Have you ever seen a doctor about BP before?

If you get even a half-day over about 180/110 I might suggest some kind of urgent care, BUT they will probably laugh at you.  At 160/100 over a day or two, same thing, because certainly it needs some care.  But you need even higher numbers, or other symptoms, before the doctors I've ever seen, will take it seriously.

• Posted

thx for replies , i realise thyre not good, and i expect to be put on meds when i next see my gp but this being the nhs it will be at least 4 wks before i can book apointment. theyre already no apointments for next 3 weeks

i walk past the utc every day to shops and the board always has 6 hr wait to see someone, so i dont want to wait to see someone just to be told see your GP or 110 is nothing to worry about.

the surgery gave me wrong cuff size so i think my readings were higher than my monitor due to that.

Does anyone get given the right size at their surgery?

also my own monitor i do at rest whereas the 24 thing i wore to work and during the day when my bp seems to spike. but that was the point as my home readings were so variable and ive found ive been taking readings when my bp is at its lowest!

• Posted

The problem with HBP is you generally feel fine - they'll be no warning. I felt absolutely fine but at A&E the doctor said I was lucky to still be alive. Use your own judgement but X/110 isn't good.

• Posted

Those are definitely high readings, normal blood pressure should be 130/80 or less, if your BP is constantly that high you definitely need medication, you should go to the ER, they will at least give something temporary while you wait to see your GP, is not that they don't take you seriously just that only extremely high blood pressure can cause short term consequences.

• Posted

I have twice between to hospital with high blood pressure. First time it was 180/110, second time 200/130. The first time I went from doctors surgery, second time via A&E, both times I was admitted, the first time I was in for 3 days, the second 4 days. Thankfully after the second admission and lots of tests they did find out what was the best medication to use and it is now very well-controlled.

An urgent care centre will definitely not laugh you out of the building. A routine appointment at the GP will not be helpful unless you have high blood pressure at that exact time. The ongoing problems with fatigue and minor chest pain mean it does need to be investigated but as I say the most useful thing would be to go to A&E or Urgent Care Centre whilst you are having an episode. Having a medic look you over when you are having high diastolic pressure certainly is not extreme,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.