Trimalleolar Fracture

Posted , 3 users are following.

Coming up on 12 weeks post-op from Trimalleolar Fracture.  I have sensitivity on the ball of my foot as well as toes.  Also still have burning in my foot. My bones have all healed but the swelling is preventing a lot of progress. Anyone else have similar symptoms?  If so, how long did they last?  

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Erik,

A lot of post-fracture (and sprain) ankle patients have the symptoms you describe.

Edema (swelling) is worse in some patients than others. Long after the immediate injury (where swelling is part of the body's innate healing response) chronic swelling is likely due to an ongoing, unhealthy inflammatory response.

If bones mended perfectly then you are suffering after-effects of soft tissue damage from your injury, it could be in muscles, nerves, tendons, ligaments, etc. or any combination of these connective tissues.

Many, many ankle patients have these complications in their recovery trajectory. There are usually ways out of the trap of 'chronic ankle symptoms for as far as the eye can see', but they usually involve a lot of hard work in ankle rehab, plus that rare virtue called patience.

I am so sorry, but most attending docs do not hand out an "Ankle Patients Guide to a Complete Recovery" manual when they dismiss their ankle patients. You are on your own now (but enlist the help of a competent foot and ankle physician if you aren't getting much better over time).

• Posted

Thanks so much for response, kpower. I am happy to hearI am worried about CRPS, as my Orthopaedic mentioned it as a possibility. I know CRPS is usually diagnosed after 6 months and I am only 12 weeks.  This nerve pain started  to happen 6 weeks after surgery and the pain is worse on some days. I am in PT and really hoping there is a light at the end of the tunnel. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.