swelling?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had TKR Feb 2018 its been slow going but back at work, so not much chance to go swimming or go to gym now, I'm a nurse so never much chance to rest, but my knee keeps swelling and gives me gip i am trying to get off the anti-inflammertries I'm only taking about 3 a week

Is it right to be swelling and be painful after 6 months? any suggestions peeps

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Typically, back to work time falls in the 4-6 months range.  However, to be prepared for that, you would need to have done the PT ROM work to achieve 0 / +120 flexion plus do the muscle rebuild for your dead quads, glutes and core...plus stretch out the hamstrings.  This is gym work or at home work with flex-bands and some equipment.  Doing your exercises in water is GREAT but relying on swimming alone could tax the knee causing more pain.  Lots of warnings on the Forum about doing the breaststroke too early.  You need to build those muscles back up and swimming only may not be the best choice.

Also, "running the floors" as a nurse is VERY stressful to the knee if it has not fully healed and your muscles are not back to full strength.  Pain and swelling are common experiences of people who went back to their jobs too early.  Very common in the reporting of this.  You will have to ice as much as you can (CryoCuff) during the day and ice/elevate at night...PLUS doing the muscle rehab to get your legs stronger...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

Endurance before strength...get on the plan...  Stay as pain free as possible.  When your knee says stop...stop.

• Posted

Hi Ruth

I have had both knees replaced.  The first one took about a year for the swelling to finally go down.  I had the other one done in February, 2018 and my leg and foot are still swollen.  When I have queries it with the physio she said it is common for the swelling to take a year to subside.  Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thankyou very much! That is very helpful were you still in pain? It’s not excruciating just niggly some days
    • Posted

Hi Ruth

I dont have any pain when I am walking but when I am sitting down and then have to stand up it still hurts a lot!

• Posted

Ruth,

I had a TKR March 29th 2018 and I still have days where my knee becomes very swollen.  I was informed by my surgeon that this off and on swelling can continue for up to a year.  He really didn't seem all that concerned and told me on days that it swells to elevate and use my ice pack.   I too have gone off my anti-infammatories and have been taking ibuprofen when my knee feels achy.  Hang in there, as everyone experiences this differently.

Susan 

• Posted

I had mine in March and knee still slightly swollen but consultant wasn't worried. He explained early days still. You're working hard as a nurse so when your knee says stop you have listen to it. I have more problems with my foot swelling so I Ice it does help. Remember rest ice and take it slowly. Good luck x

• Posted

Hi Ruth! I am about 3 weeks away from my one year Mark. Still swells, still gives me trouble. I work with horses, dogs and other animals, so I am always on my feet.

Everyone has said give it a year... well, I don't expect to wake up on day 365 and be all better. Ice has become my bff, and I think that and continuing the exercises is going to be a life long adventure. Even when my knee was the size of a softball, I would still try heel slides, quad strengthening, etc. Try being the key word.

Actually, the swelling always seemed to go down just a tad after exercising and icing. Good luck with everything and don't be afraid to ask for modified work if necessary for a bit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.