Starting Zoloft today, but worried.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm due to start 25 mgs of Zoloft today, and in a week begin taking 50 mgs, and I'm absolutely petrified. I was hoping someone could give some words of encouragement or advice.

Thanks,

Kim

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I put of taking mine for 2 weeks as I was scared as I’ve had bad reactions of a lot of med due to my morphine patch. Started on 50mg and had sickness the 1st day and felt nauseous every now and then but still waiting for the mental health effects 
  • Posted

Hey, first I think it's great you are taking steps to get healthy. You didn't mention what you are taking Zoloft for so your experience may be slightly different from mine. I started taking zoloft 50 mg in April for mild depression, social anxiety and panic disorder. The first 2 weeks were difficult. There was an increase in the anxiety so my doctor prescribed me 1 mg of extended release Xanax to help. I also had some gastrointestinal side effects and a general feeling of not wanting to eat. I was still able to go to work and things, it was just harder to concentrate. After about 5 weeks on the 50 mg I was feeling better but still having anxiety so my doctor suggested moving to 100 mg. I actually did 75 mg for a week and then moved to the 100, side effects were less and I was feeling even better mentally. After about 4 weeks on the 100 I went back for a follow-up and was doing well but still dealing with some pretty intense anxiety specifically related to my monthly cycle. The doctor asked me to move to 150 mg. Again, I did 125 for a week and have now been on the 150 for almost a month. At this dose is the best I have felt mentally in a while. I still have moments of anxious thoughts but I am much more able to process through them without being derailed by them. We also reduced my Xanax to .5 mg extended release once a day with the goal to move off the Xanax completely. In addition to the medication I have also been seeing a counselor 2 to 3 times a week for close to a year. I would absolutely recommend anyone taking antidepressants to combine the medication with regular talk therapy. I hope this helps you. The gist of it is that the first couple weeks will most likely be a bit difficult but, if you can tough it out and work with your doctor to increase slowly until you find the right dose, you will likely see great benefits.

• Posted

Sorry, that should read that I'm seeing a counselor 2 to 3 times a month, not a week

• Posted

I'm taking them for major depressive disorder, and panic disorder.

I was on Zoloft many years ago, but I don't remember what it was like starting them. I originally had them in the 90's, when not everyone had a computer, so there were no scary stories.

• Posted

Hi- could a send you a message to ask you something?
  • Posted

Hi don't be affraid it's one of the best ones and as little side effects once it's in your system..you will have side effects at 1st for about 2/5 weeks of increased anxiety but please hang on it worth it..I'm on 75mg and it helps so much.. good luck

• Posted

Kim,

I started on Zoloft around this time last year. I was terrified. I was crying, shaking. Scared of what it would do, how it would make me feel. 

It’s changed my life! 

• Posted

That's so great to hear, Dolly! I'm in the boat you were in, so this gives me hope.

• Posted

Hello Kim,

I started 25 ml for 2 weeks then increased to 50 ml 5 weeks ago. I’ve had a few side effects, however, the benefits are huge. I suffer from a bit of depression but mainly panic disorder. At 2 wks in, I started to feel more myself, now I feel very little panic symptoms and no depression. I wake up looking forward to my day. I used to spend the day Goggling symptoms but not so much anymore.

My side effects have been dry mouth, lips, and eyes. I’d rather slather on chapstick all day then slip into a heart racing panic attack.

I also take Lopressor for severe heart palps. The two meds seem to work ok together. I can understand your fear and I’m sorry you are struggling. For me, this med has been life changing for the better. I hope you will see the same benefits and joy returning to daily life that I have. Best luck.

- hugs x kat 

• Posted

Thanks so much! Hopefully I can pluck up the courage to take one soon. Taking it on the weekend with family here might not be so bad. My biggest worry is being alone and dealing with the side effects, especially increased anxiety. I was given klonopin to help, but we'll see how that goes.

It would be nice to skip over the first few weeks. lol

• Posted

I know the feeling. I was terrified of taking it too until one day I got fed up with panic attacks and figured that it couldn't be any worse. It's been a tough ride but after 6 months I'm feeling wayyyy better. I stepped up from 25mg to 150mg every two weeks-ish. The last month at 150mg I feel better than I have in years. Give it a chance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.