Pain when bending knee backwards 5 months after knee replacement

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had total knee replacement in March 2018 and although I am very pleased with the outcome, I am having trouble when bending my knee backwards, for example, going downstairs or getting out of a car. I have been going to the gym twice a week and aqua aerobics once and have no problems apart from the static bike were I have pain when trying to pedal. Has anyone else had this problem and am I just being impatient, the reason I am concerned is I have to have my other knee replaced and I don't feel totally confident with the new knee at the moment neutral

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried weights on ankle or ankle floaties in pool ? They help with that movement , I didn’t with this knee but did with first one . Even wearing fins in pool and bending knee back ie ie foot towards bum helps just a bit of resistance 
  • Posted

Hi Sheila,

I have just came from the pool. I am 9 months post TKR on left knee and 2 years on right.

I usually swim relatively easy pace to loosen up. Then I take a corner if the pool, lie back holding the edge's and do slow bicycle movements and speed up as I go, afree about 100 or when I feel loosened up. I go back to swimming lengths. I do about 30 in total. I stop every ten and walk backwards for a few lengths and then swim again. I take it relatively easy. I do push myself but am building up slowly. I find this much better than using the static bike.

On the advice of my physio I have began walking walking every day and this has improved me no end. At first I found it a bit painful but now it is much easier.

My right knee, 2 years post op is like new, so I know the left will the a bit more time.

Hope this helps,

God Bless,

Alan

• Posted

hi Sheila I'm in same situation 2 years I had knee replacement I haven't been able to bend my knee its the pain its horrific had a bone scan it hasn't shown any thing ive changed hospitals seeing another consultant end of august they keep telling me it takes a year before a knee replacement gets better its sole destroying when you cant try any more to get moving about and you don't feel any better for it 

• Posted

hi Sheila sorry you are having problems same thing has happened to me the pain is terrible its 2 years with me they told me it takes a year before the knee improves had a bone scan it dosent show anything up its hard when you cant try harder to get your knee moving and you don't get any where the pain is horrific I'm having a second opinion end of august I

• Posted

That’s not good I haven’t had any much pain since 8-10 wks , at 7 mths still a bit stiff sometimes but just walked 4 km and no problem, but one I had done 7 years ago suddenly playing up!
  • Posted

Hi Sheila,

?Well I wouldn't worry about it at all.I have had mine done two years now and coming down stairs is not painful but I do know the difference from going upstairs.My bike is also still difficult to ride. I have to start off  very carefully and do a few backwards and forwards turns before I can do  a full turn and ride and it really hurts when I turn, so I would think that you are doing really well considering its only been 6 months.

?Keep up the good work though. I was told by the surgeon that a knee replacement is not" the be all and end all"

?by any stretch of the imagination. Different people end up with different problems. Not may get away with an absolute 100% improvement in every way,

Hope this is helpful for you

• Posted

Im 6 months out and still can't bend my knee back all the way.....

• Posted

You probably won’t get it back all the way , not possible with the prostheses , 
  • Posted

I had my TKR done 18 months and like you cannot bend it probley so had a second opinion and was told it likely it will stay like it... so I’m learning to live with it   
  • Posted

Shelia,

I had a TKR in April and I still experience stiffness - not much trouble going up the stairs but still is very uncomfortable coming down.  I have to force myself to work normal coming down.  My bend is really good but if I get down on my knees its very hard to get up.  I still have to push myself up with my hands.  I think it just takes time and maybe we are both expecting too much too soon.  Hang in there and keep exercising.  Sounds like you are really dedicated - that's fantastic!!

Susan

• Posted

I still find coming down stairs difficult , feel like it would be easy to fall, especially with heels on, have to use rail, up is much better . Same getting down on floor, it’s a sight to see me getting up!!
  • Posted

hi Sheila 78885 my knee has been like it for 2 years I cant bend mine because of pain consultant told me it can take up to a year before your knee recovers from a knee replacement hope it wont be long before it gets better 
  • Posted

Thought I would update the forum on my problem with bending my knee backwards, I have persevered with the gym programme and have to report a vast improvement in mobility and feel confident when it comes to my other knee replacement in the near future. Its true that the more effort you put in the more you get out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.