Random pulsing chest pain and AAA

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed 4 years ago with a 4.4cm ascending aortic aneurism. I have stopped smoking cigars and stopped lifting weights over a year ago and dropped 42 lbs. I have been feeling much better, more energetic and less lethargic, moving quicker and with ease. 

Sunday night was my wife’s birthday. To celebrate, we went to one of our favorite Peruvian restaurants and I decided to go off for a night. And I mean I went off. Appetizers, entree, dessert and a small pitcher of sangria (holds approx 4-5 glasses). 

I came out of the restaurant stuffed and tipsy (obviously wife drove home). Why did I do this? Without getting into much detail, I was venting several concerns and circumstances beyond my control that have been bothering me. 

I checked the scale the next morning and expectedly I gained approx 4 lbs of water weight. Being a former competitive bodybuilder in my 20’s I expected this would happen and I would slowly rid the excess water weight by the end of the week. 

The actual concern is I have been getting these really odd chest pains right under my solar plexus. It comes very random and it was strong enough to wake me up in the middle of the night Monday morning. It almost feels like heartburn, it’s random and what it feels like is several “thumps” of pain. It’s not severe, but it’s enough to make me wince a little, then it goes away. I have taken Tums, Gas-X and Omeprazole, which all barely helps. My wife thinks it’s gas but I am concerned it may be more and may be affecting my AAA. Since Monday morning, I am still getting this but with less frequency. 

What are your thoughts please? 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

its scary isn't it - the breathlessness. I don't think as a symptom it has been looked at enough but it is beyond a normal out of breath feeling - its as though you can't breathe. Very hard to describe. There is a theory it is because the vagus nerve which is connected to breathing wraps round the ascending aorta and maybe the swelling affects it? but more interestingly that there is an excess of leukotrienes which can cause a rare form of exercise induced asthma they have also found in an excess of leukotrienes in aortic anuerysms...I take a leokotriene antagonist drug and have found that the attacks of breathlessness have almost disappeared (you learn not to run for the bus) but I was getting mild attacks often after climbing a couple of flights of stairs and now I don't get them. Such a relief.   

• Posted

Since I’ve lost this weight, I find it easier to walk faster, climb more, and not over exert myself. Of course I won’t be swinging walking sticks at a large black mass anymore, but the occasional flight of stairs (2-3, not 8) or an occasional fast paced dance at a wedding I feel more comfortable and confident I will be okay. 

Which brings me to my question: is doing taekwondo going to be too much? I want to go back as I miss it, I already told my former masters about my conditions and they completely understand. So it’s up to me now to push myself but not to the point of danger and really listen to my body. 

It’s forms and self defense yes, but it’s also a lot of fast paced kicking which I’m concerned about over exhaustion. 

• Posted

Hi Eric, I guess it is a case of try it and see - if it doesn't give you breath attacks. As far as i know sustained exercise is good the problem with weights for example is the suddenness of it. that is what put a jolt on the blood pressure.

• Posted

Studies have shown that exercise and stress are triggers for rupture. I’d proceed with caution. 
  • Posted

I’m so sorry because I know exactly what you are describing.  I say that because I always hate to know that I know what another feels when it’s such intense fear and or pain.  Have you had genetic testing done?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.