how often?

Posted , 9 users are following.

How often do you get RLS?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Before I started my diet I had restless legs every night from about bedtime, or up to an hour later, until about 5 to 7am   For this time I had to keep walking, or at least shuffling, around the "circuit"    Lounge room - kitchen - hallway.

Graham

• Posted

I am following a FODMAP diet with a few extra exclusions   Namely lactose, gluten alcohol and caffeine.

I have to go now but if you want more details let me know and in the meantime you can read up on the Monash university website.   The diet was developed for IBS but I found it works for my RLS

Let me know if you want some help.

Graham

• Posted

I still have RLS but I sleep for 6 to 8 hours per night and wake up a few times for other reasons but I can go 20 days straight without RLS.

Graham

• Posted

I never had RLS everyday, it mostly came once every few months or so. I've been following a vegan diet for 2 years now and I haven't gotten RLS, I'm not sure if there is any correlation.

• Posted

I get rls almost every evening onc i get in bed and within 5 min. It starts
  • Posted

I have had a pretty severe case of RLS.  I need to be on two medications 24/7 in order to keep it under control, and then it still makes itself known a couple time a day.  Going to bed it the worse.  If not on the medications I'm on now the RLS would start within 5 to 20 minutes after going to bed and some nights would be so very bad that I would be walking, shaking legs, walking stairs, doing anything to get myself through.  Some nights I would just cry.  I had to quit work because I was so tired I would fall asleep anyplace.  I quit driving because of the same reason.  Also, sitting in a car for an hour or more will bring the RLS on.  I have not tried modifying the diet as some have mentioned.  RLS is a horrific disease.

• Posted

I had pretty bad RLS and walking all night was usual. 

The thing that helped me most was going on the Monash University low FODMAP diet and also excluding lactose, caffeine, gluten and alcohol.    Others who have tried it have had mixed success    all the way from almost immediate relief to no use at all   In may case I cut out gluten first and had some detectable relief in two weeks or so and then followed the FODMAP diet and after about 12 weeks found a great improvement  Gradually found lactose and other particular problems.    Now if I stick to my diet I have periods of 20 nights with no symptoms.  then a couple of days caused by some factor I don't understand and then back to the good times.    The FODMAP diet was designed for IBS but I found it worked for my RLS and I have since found that it works for some others.   I can send more information if you are interested.

• Posted

I would get RLS randomly, once every few months or so, but I've heard that it can come back after a few months or years. If untreated is it possible for this to progress into an everyday thing?

• Posted

I have it 24/7 if I don't take ropinarol every 3 hours

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.