I’m new to find out about having HS..

Posted , 10 users are following.

Is it okay to wear deodorant? If so, what kinda would you recommend? 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

For me. You should avoid wearing deodorant. Strongly not recommended.
  • Posted

Hi, I avoid it when I can but I try to find one that is natural , I have had some luck with Tom’s 
  • Posted

Hi allyson06494 in answer to your question yes it is ok although finding one is the hard part i mean every ones different right but i find that nivea roll on works best for me most spray deorant irritated me but one I use without any trouble is nivea pearl & beauty anti perspirant .

• Posted

It is best to avoid deodorants, due to all the chemicals present in them. The chemicals do finally get absorbed by the skin. My doctor too advised against using deodorants. She is the same holistic doc thanks to whom I am now in remission. So I go by what she says.

If you can get hold of organic deodorants, that would be a better option.

I typically spray perfumes on my clothes.. don't use any deos.

• Posted

Yes, the 2 I have found to sting less are Secret powder fresh and dove. But if it stings to bad I just use tea tree oil or coconut oil and try not to sweat all day.
  • Posted

When I don’t have open sores I use an all natural deodorant you can find Etsy. If I have open sores I use Neosporin. 
  • Posted

An online search for all natural deodorant substitutions will give you tons of options. Cornstarch, baking soda, arrowroot powder, tea tree essential oil, and lavender essential oil are just a few.
  • Posted

I could wear deodorant under my right arm for year and half just started back and everything is going good
  • Posted

tl;dr - I have to occasionally wear normal deodorant. It sometimes irritates, but I find roll-ons and specifically if you're in the US, Secret Powder Fresh roll-on to have the least amount of irritation for me. When at home, I use a combination of distilled white vinegar and alcohol in an atomizer, plus regular showers with Hibiclens.

Incoming wall of text:

Like a lot of people I only recently found out I had HS through Doctor Google, but I've been suffering from it for the past 20 years. One of the first things I noticed when I first got into full-swing-flop-sweat puberty is that the stick deodorant I had been using would cause terrible 'burns' and breakouts under my arms. I tried switching to gels, and it was even worse. I was lucky and only had to show my mum the welts under my arms to get her to buy me different medicated, aluminium free, etc. NOTHING worked for long. Sometimes I'd get a couple weeks or months, sometimes not even that.

I still wore it when I went out, but at home I used a combination of rubbing alcohol (recipe recommends ethanol and vinegar rather than rubbing alcohol, as it's less of an irritant - google 'vinegar and alcohol deodorant' for ratios). You can add fragrances and scents to this. Mix it up in an atomizer and spray it under your arms.

I still use this more or less today sometimes, but I've moved on to using a mixture of Microshield Chlorhexidine (known as Hibiclens in the US) 1% hand lotion (1% Chlorhexidine and 70% rubbing alcohol) and white vinegar. I find this works better for me.

With that said, when I met my wife she used Secret Powder Fresh roll-on, as another poster mentioned. I ended up using it one day and found I had no irritation from it. Bought some of my own, and from then on out I was a Secret Powder Fresh man. Little to no irritation. When we moved away from the US, I had to switch to Nivea Roll-ons. I get a little more irritation from these if I wear them day-in-day-out, but nothing like the welting and breakouts I get from a stick deodorant.

These are just my personal experiences. What I keep reading, and agree with fully is that HS is a very personal disease. It affects different people, in different ways, at different times.

My advice would be if you're experiencing no negative reactions to deodorant, wear what you prefer when you go out, and try going au naturale if you're going to be at home - either through a homebrew deodorant, something organic, or just not worrying about it. Using an antimicrobial shower wash (such as Hibiclens) will help control body odor to a point.

Off topic - If you're in the states, Chlorhexidine is generally sold under the name 'Hibiclens'. It's a hospital grade skin cleanser. Usually 1% or .5% Chlorhexidine for hand sanitizer, and 4% for washing your body with. With HS, you're going to hear a lot about Hibiclens. From a personal standpoint, I cannot recommend it enough. It really is magic-soap for a lot of people with HS. As always though, talk to your doctor about it as most people here, myself included, can only speak from personal experience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.