Awaiting TKR

Posted , 12 users are following.

Waiting for a knee replacement at Good Hope hospital - consultant is Mr jain. After reading some of the posts I'm dreading the pain after the operation! Has anyone else had their knee operation at good hope?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

No. I had mine done in Downey, California. It’s certainly not for sissies. The pain is pretty intense for awhile. But follow the advice of doctors. Ice often. Take your meds as needed and do the exercises.  It took me almost 8 weeks till I felt almost normal. Everyone is different. Good luck to you.
  • Posted

Pain is dreadful, keep taking the meds all the time for the first few weeks. I made the mistake of trying to take when needed. Wrong. Just keep yourself topped up.

Ice elevate and sleep as much as you can. 

Best thing I have ever done. 😃😃 now I’m 7 months in.

Good luck to you,

Louise xx 

• Posted

I am 7 months also Louise, and am having to get a second opinion in Sept.  My I ask what brand of prothesis you have ?  Mine has been recalled... ugh.................. I dread it, IF I have to have a revision , but on the other hand, It will be a relief!!
  • Posted

Morning as you have been advised make sure you keep up with the medication and exercises it’s very painful but you need to get the knee / leg working read up on Chico posts he had great advice that will help good luck do keep us all posted x
  • Posted

I learned the hard way - do not let the pain get ahead of you.  Take your meds before you need them.  The first week was painful but after that it seemed to lessen.  Physical therapy is the key.  One word of advice with therapy is push to the pain not through it.  Again, I learned the hard way.  This whole procedure is uncomfortable but the end results are worth it.  Wishing you the very best!

Susan

• Posted

Hi I am 20 days post tkr. Not going to lie it is painful. I had rightcone done four years ago so it will get better. If you get pain control right itwibt be so bad. Everyone’s experience is different anyway. Good luck to you x
  • Posted

Hi

I had my op 31st May in the UK like you i was dreading the pain and wondering if i could cope. Well it was nothing as bad as i imaged maybe i was lucky but pain was kept under control with codeine and paracetamol  i slept ok and managed to exercise a little .

I did have a problem with my incision, it has taken 13 weeks to heal no infection consultant said that sometimes this happens put the knee was fine, it has healed from the inside so it kept scabbing over and takes a lot longer to heal  but I am getting there. 

I am sure you will be fine yes it hurts but for me not as bad as I thought it would,everyone is different hopefully you will be up and about in no time I know a few people  that are so much better than me at the same period of time  but thats how it is I just have to be patience.

Good luck 

So please don't be afraid you will be fine it is a long journey and patience plays a big part.

Take care

• Posted

Hi stela you are right we r all different and we do need to be  patient  Which I annoy I’m 10 wks this Thursday had my op in the UK I read up on my consultant who had a great  reputation but he lacked bedside manner and understanding of how I was feeling I had a nasty abscess and pain I could not get under control 

The abscess hole is nearly closed but I have a lot of stiffness but I’m working on my exercises daily I will be glad to get back to work but that will only happen when I can bend the knee at 120 at 95 now 

Good luck everyone and be pain free soon 

• Posted

Hi Kathleen Sorry to hear you had a problem with an abscess I bet that was painful! 

I also have a lot of stiffness but its expected I have  been told it will get better with time. My bend is only about 95 I try but can't seem to improve but I will keep trying.

I was lucky i asked for my consultant like you i had read up on him  and he was lovely easy to talk to and sympathetic with any concerns I had  he was excellent. 

Hope you soon improve and get back to work. 

Take care

• Posted

Thank u Stella hope you are fit and well soon take care 

Kathleen xx

• Posted

Firstly it’s a major operation and it’s certainly not a delicate one,everyone’s pain is different after my 3day stay in hospital (not good hope) all I needed was paracetamol,you need to stick to a recovery plan,if you overdo things you’ll be in pain and lengthen your recovery I’m 12 months post LTKR and my new knee is brilliant I’m due a RTKR in January and I have no qualms about getting it done,stay positive and good luck.
    • Posted

Hi Brent yes we r all different and yes I was expecting far too much in my eye’s  I had been suffering for a few years and thought that once I had the operation I would be fine but due to problems that I got and not being believed I have been setback at least 3/4 weeks I’m working very hard to get my knee where it should be I exercise daily as physio has requested that I do she is pleased with what I Cando but unfortunately I need my left knee replacing but due to my experience it has put me off I will see how long I can wait until I get it d i’m working very hard to get my knee where it should be I exercise daily as physio has requested that I do she is pleased with what I can do but unfortunately I need my left knee replacing but due to my experience it has put me off I will  persevere with the pain until I can’t cope anymore  I try to keep positive  and one day I will be pain-free 😂😂

• Posted

I am really enjoying my new knee....18 months post op now...and it is still improving! Its putting the other one to shame... my whole leg is

Bionic!

I cannot imagine how miserable I would have been without this life changing surgery. I was very disabled and now all the limitations are gone.

So grateful!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.