Ok just stop

Posted , 8 users are following.

Right I am getting really annoyed with ppl thinking they have depression because of a stupid reason like kids leaving home get a grip that's not depression, yes it's upsetting but you'll be fine in a week or two how dare they even try to compare it to what some of us go through everyday depression is when you feel 100,000 times as bad as that to an extent you may consider killing yourself for peace from the torture it really annoys me it's like they are having a bad day and saying yes I know how you feel let me tell you take how your feeling X it by 1 million then take to the depths of the universe and you'll have a tiny glimpse into what people with depression go through everyday without being able to pinpoint a reason

4 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mike! 

I am agree and disagree with you. 

Well that person definitely have absolutely no idea what depression is. 

“Multiply by 1million “ made me smile because it’s exactly how I feel sometimes but maybe we need to be happy that some people have no idea what depression anxiety feels like. There is too many of us I think recently and that is sad. So for me if person thinks he/she has a depression but he or she doesn’t well thanks god for that, some ppl have no idea how bad it is. 

Just thinking out loud smile 

• Posted

Depression can can be triggered by life events but to have a clinical diagnosis of major depressive order there has to be a significant change in mood from normal for at least two weeks accompanied by features such as sleep disturbances, fatigue, feelings of worthlessness, problems with concentration, diminished interest in pleasant activities or inability to feel pleasure,thoughts of death, weight loss,changes in appetite. The term depression is used in a general sense and loosely. Major depressive disorder is a specific mental health diagnosis. 

Similar issue with OCD used very loosely and distracting from the seriousness and suffering.  

At at least with depression it can be clarified that the suffering is from Major Depressive Disorder not just as simple as sadness in reaction to a life event.

• Posted

Hey, mike

Seen from this perspective it is understandable that you would feel this way, since what you probably feel is that others are comparing their state of sadness with yours and they use the same word, Depression, and at the end your own feelings may feel invalidated. So you feel you´re in a deep pit of despair and torture and you feel they are waving to you from like kilometres above your head and telling you, yes, i know what it´s like to be down there, but truly, they do not. So of course one would be mad. But they mean well. If you focuse on the fact that this is their own truth and they only want to help you (well, not everyone, some may have other needs they are fulfilling, Maybe they didn´t feel like their sadness was expressed or understood, and they see you as an opportinity to bring it up or they want to do sth completely different, but anyway). Still, I read somewhere that comparing Depression to normal sadness of life is like comparing a gun shot to the leg with a big Scratch. (I Changed this a bit, i dont remember the exact comparison) but really both hurt and both need to be treated, so even if it´s just sadness, let us be nice human beings and wish them well, while still validating, that a scratch in itself, indeed hurts. I don´t think comparison is needed. Comparison makes us bitter and even more sad than before. Instead, let´s just validate the pain of a Scratch, as we should validate the pain of falling down to the ground, as is hitting your elbow and every else little uncomfortable situation for our bodies. Like, even uncomfortable clothing. This doesn´t mean a shot to the leg may not hurt more, but really, it´s not about that, it´s about wishing well to all and everyone. 

• Posted

I also understand where you are coming from, but also appreciate other peoples unhappiness. The degree of depression is often overlooked. Some peoples idea of depression would seem like a state of recovery for others. I like to post to help people out, passing on my own experiences of depression, and roll my eyes when a persons degree of unhappiness or depression is no where near as bad as it can get. Thing is, they could be heading towards something much worse. Id like to think people on here can help others from reaching true despair. Your comments may help them put their problems into perspective. Glad you raised this, because its something ive thought about and feel the word depression is too wide ranging.
  • Posted

Hi mike - I can commiserate. However the worst ones are those who insist you are all right, that you are perhaps "tired," that "well, no-one would know" or that pearl of wisdom the ignorant throw out: "get over it." Blood boils.

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your comments I guess to a certain extent I was having a bad day yesterday and in the process of looking for some one whom may understand how crappy I felt I discovered posts from people whom thought they had depression when they hadn't I got frustrated and had to say my piece

So the two things I'd like to do is firstly apologise if I've hurt or dismissed anyone or their situation and secondly I like to thank those that can relate and empathise with what I was trying to say

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.