Laparotomy scheduled in October to remove right ovary

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone! I found out a few months ago that I have large cyst on my right ovary. After having an MRI my gynecologist said it is an 8cm dermoid cyst and he cannot remove it laparoscopicly because it's too risky. I was rushed through my appointment because he was behind and had a waiting room full of patients. I do know that he will be removing my entire right ovary and I will be in the hospital overnight, if not longer.

My questions are, what size incision should I be expecting? Is it usually done horizontally or vertically? Has anyone experienced any negative effects of losing an ovary? The doctor tells me I will still be able to have children and losing an ovary won't affect me, but I feel like there's got to be some changes after losing one!

I am excited to get it out after years and years of dealing with very painful periods and more recently having issues with my bowels and peeing every 10 minutes (maybe not that much but it feels like it lol)

Not sure where I am going with this, I guess I'm looking for someone who had this surgery and can tell me what to expect as my anxiety is getting pretty bad waiting for this surgery! My cousin recently had a very aggressive type of ovarian cancer and I am slightly worried that this cyst may turn out to be something worse (although my cyst is on the right side I feel pain on my left side as well but I've been told there is nothing showing on the MRI)

Any help is appreciated, thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey honey! 

I also had a similar sized cyst, 10cm x 8cm x 12cm but managed to keep my ovary so I can’t help there. 

But the incision was across the top of my bikini line and is about 3-4 inches across. I was kept in the hospital until I could use my bladder again without the catheter which was maybe 3 days, but recovery took me 3 months. 

Hope this helped a bit and all goes well!!! 

• Posted

Hi, I had a benign cyst removed three weeks ago, 25cm long and a total hysterectomy including ovaries.   My incision was huge - pelvis to 2 inches above my belly button.   Yours is smaller so it shouldn't have to be as big.   To be honest, I am more or less back to normal (touch wood) minus driving and lifting anything bigger than 2.5kg.    I was only in hospital one night. 

Hope all goes well.   For me the worry of having it done was far worse than the surgery/recovery.  

• Posted

I don't know if this helps u but i had my left ovary and tube taken out from a cysts that was enlarging i had 3 small incensions i had the pain on my right side but it was the left side that was removed i was back to normal after a month but take it easy cause if u don't your body will let u know

• Posted

Hi i had a laparotomy for my 18 cyst to remove my right ovary and tube. 

The incision will be just under your belly button and will go down to just above your vagina. 

You will be sore for a good while, take it easy. 

My op was 2 years ago and I still get pain on my right side where my ovary and tube was. I am at this very moment I am writing this. 

It is like a dull ache, sometimes it feels like a stabbing pain. 

But don’t worry, just concentrate on getting better and u must take it easy. It can be a slow recovery unless that was just me! I was also put on antibiotics for 3 months after the surgery. 

You will be fine. If you need someone to talk to about it please don’t hesitate to contact me! Good luck 😉 

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your replies! It helps a little to know what I can expect. At this point I just want to get it done and over with. The last week or so has been especially painful, not sure if it's growing or just aggrevated for some reason

• Posted

Hi hope ur feeling ok? Just remember that you are not alone in this! 

You will soon be on the mend. 

Let us know how you get on. 

I have been thinking  about you and wondering how you are! 

Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.