21 and third time getting shingles

Posted , 3 users are following.

The first time I got shingles I was about 18 and since then I got it once more and now again in my third trimester of pregnancy. I've talked to both my obgyn and regular Dr and they don't seem too concerned about it but it makes me very sick on top of my already having morning sickness and the baby's movements have decreased so I think he may be feeling sick too. On top of that since this is my third time getting it once I'm not pregnant I would like to get the shingles vaccine. My Dr says no, but I'm thinking I need a new Dr?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Marilee,

I am so sorry you are pregnant and getting Shingles, as well. You didn't state if you have any underlying immunocompromised conditions that may cause shingles, or a prior trauma or surgery near the rash and pain.

I would absolutely get a new physician. Many Physicians are abysmally ignorant regarding this incapacitating disease. I am certain you know more about Shingles than most of the medical community.

I just received the first of two Shingrex injections. My hematologist nurse helped me find a pharmacy to get the vaccination. You would need your physician to write a script for you as you are so young. I have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles every three to five weeks in my right ear for the past twenty-two years and twice in my right eye.. I have swallowing problems with it. It has now escalated and spread to my entire right scalp. I use a Cortisone spray and Bactine spray on my scalp, to help with the intense pain and itching. I also use ice.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States.

Is this your first pregnancy? When is the EDC? I hope there are no further complications. I do wish that the rest of your pregnancy quiets down, and becomes the joyful event it is meant to be

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I have no prior knowledge of any immunity issues but that is a concern I've brought up to him, because as a younger teenager I was a victim of human trafficking so I have concerns maybe this is a sign of hiv? My physician wouldn't even test me for it saying Im not in the danger group but I was a sex worker in San Francisco so I think otherwise... Finally my obgyn did but she said it was clear. I had no surgery but my abuser broke my hand and fingers in multiple places and that is where it has always outbroke, on my hands... This is my first pregnancy and I'm due Oct 8 2018

• Posted

Marilee,

My heart goes out to you??. Warm hugs. Change your doctor immediately! He has no insight into power and control, violence and abuse, women's issues, and infectious disease. Shingles often occurs at the site of trauma. I sustained moderately severe head trauma at age 43 years old. One year later, I had my first episode of Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my right ear, very close to the depressed skull. Now the entire right scalp is also involved.

My former husband battered me, attempted to kill me, but I escaped with my son, so I understand abuse. I know your situation was horrible, but is better now.I had to rebuild my life, so to speak, and am very happy now. I hope you are, too. I will send in a different post information on Herpes Zoster-Shingles, and recurrent Herpes Zoster-Shingles.

Please let me know how you are doing. You certainly don't need to put up with a physician who does not perform necessary testing and is marginalizing you.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi marille,

So sorry that you have shingles again . It must be terrible for you. I am not sure what the requirements are to  ensure you have the vaccine?  It may be age or that you  must have another illness. I would have thought if you had it before then that would enable you to get it.

I hope someone who has recieved  the vacine will be able to answer your question. Am so sorry not able to help. 

Congratulations on being pregnant. Hope you feeling better soon.

Kind Regards

Kathy x

• Posted

He said it was because of my age and it was very unlikely to happen again, but that is what I was told the first time. I think I am going to try and find a new Dr because at this point I'm concerned about my immune system and I think I should have the vaccine because it has been reaccuring

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.