Downward spiral

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been struggling more the last few months about my life and where it's going blah blah.. And I need change in my life, I have decided to move in with my partner, now I'm terrified my depression will get worse as he does tend to how do I put this 'not be sensitive towards my feelings'. I'm scared he'll upset me and he gets more annoyed at that. Any advice on moving on with someone that has no idea about handling depression?

3 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If you have so many concerns why  are you going through with it? If it doesent work out you are going to have nowhere to live and no partner ? 

Will you have somewhere you can go like family if it doesent work? 

• Posted

I totally agree with spiritanimal if you have any concerns about how your partner can handle your depression you should not move in together.  Help your partner to understand depression slowly and then maybe they can accept it. One step at a time 
  • Posted

Yes don't!  Or if you do make sure you have somewhere to say if it all goes pear shaped.  If a partner isn't sensitive to your needs then it's never going to work.  He doesn't necessarily need to understand depression but he needs to be aware you find life difficult sometimes and are perhaps more needy than other people.  x

• Posted

Yeah that may not work, you can't run vefore you can walk ya know, ya need to think about priorities here yes you may want to move in and see if life works (it won't by the way with anyone that is ever not going to listen to your problems and help you) your the dismissive attitude toward your feelings should sum up how he feels about you a man that will love you unconditionally will be there to fight with and for you however you may be young and you'll work that out yourself

What I meant by priority is image vs mental health I know everyone round you is probs getting married living together having babies etc but you canna rush that kinda stuff in fear of being left behind or at the risk of you mental health ya know I've never yet met anyone who has cured depression and by moving in with a how did you put it not really sensitive to your needs or feelings before

Hope you see what I'm saying and good luck xx

• Posted

Hi Carly - that's quite a change. I'm wondering why you are contemplating this when you have stated he is not sensitive to your feelings? Is moving in with him going to relieve that insensitivity? Or will you be more prone to his attitude bringing you down? I'm wondering what he will be getting out of this arrangement, too. I would tend to err on the cautious and discuss the matter(s) openly with him first. Get him educated on it. If he is averse to that consideration, he's waving a red flag. There's nothing worse than being trapped in a situation with no relief or place to escape. Best of luck whatever you do...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.