Had total abdominal hysterectomy and bilateral salpingoophorectomy 11th september

Posted , 4 users are following.

Had total hysterectomy 3 days ago came home yesterday no real advice. Was told had to have injections then was told I didn't they nearly overdosed me as hadn't written meds down and I had to ask about stitches coming out. I just needed to get out as didn't feel safe. So now need advice have heard some people say they have had a shower but I was told couldn't. Haven't been to the loo even though I'm taking lactulose. Surgeon was really good she told me to chew chewing gum for wind but she wasn't in yesterday and said she would see me today to discuss everything. Other dr said I could go home who's going to say no. I'm disabled fall a lot and have memory issues so lucky I realised I had been give meds already. They also kept offering me naproxen when they were given me brufoen. I am in a lot of pain now can take my painkillers am sleeping lots and using ice pack but they did say not on my tummy. My bp was 101 over 56 and I bled a lot.

Sorry for long post but need advice

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You need written discharge instructions. I suggest that you contact the surgeon you had confidence in as soon as you can.  When I was discharged, I had a prescription for shots (given in the tummy) to avoid getting blood clots.  

You need good medical advice, not being discharged without any.  Do you have someone with you who can help? xx

• Posted

Hi Lynda.

It was all a bit lax in the hospital. I have to go to gp on Tuesday to see if some of the stitches can come out. I even had to ask about them. I have 2 lots with a bead. So maybe I will ask them for advice. It's just what do I do in the meantime.

Also finding it hard to wee today. Seem to be bleeding more but really feel like I want to wee but can't really go.

• Posted

Something could be going on.  You really need to see a doctor asap.  You really shouldn't be bleeding so much.  And you need to be able to pee.  Please go to A&E, as you could have developed a UTI as well, because you were catheterized during the surgery.  xx

• Posted

Hi Lynda managed to do a wee but now 9 dpo and still can't open bowels. Had to see go yesterday as they have given me lots of stuff and nothing working. He even gave me micro enemas yesterday but even they haven't worked. At least with the lactulose strigil etc. It's all keeping soft but it's the sweating where I need to go so badly.

Have eaten tons of fruit veg, hot Apple juice just waiting for an explosion. Thanks for your help.

• Posted

I was told about this "remedy."  Take 4 ounces of prune juice, warm it up and add one tablespoon of melted butter, then drink it.  If you're still taking pain killers, they'll have stopped the contractions in your bowels.  The information was given to me by one of my chemo nurses.  This might work.

Keep drinking as much water as you can.  xx 

• Posted

Hello Mel, just as Lynda said you need to ask your doc. for written instructions. But in the meantime I have a few comments to some of your questions.

The sutures should not get wet. It's extremely difficult to avoid that if you take a bath. I had the exact same procedure and I was advised to clean myself up with a towel and warm water until the stitches dissloved and the wound closed. So for a week I didn't take an actual bath.

I was on pain medication for 2 weeks. I spent 5 days at the hospital. The first 2 days pain was managed by morphine. From the 3 day it was controlled by diclofenac suppositories.

You need to try to move around to prevent thrombosis or if you can't move around you need a compression socks or you should probably take some blood thinner.

Take your time and rest a lot. You need it.

All the best dear.

• Posted

Thanks Helen. I'm sure my surgeon wanted more injections. I was on morphine for first 24 hours then came home. I do take lots of painkillers and just take more diazepan if pain is too extreme. My stitches come out between Tuesday and Friday. The booklet with exercises don't really give a lot of detail.

Thanks

Mel

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.