5.5 cm ovarian cyst. Anyone experience the same thing?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, I'm 19 y/o, and four months ago, I found out that I have a 5.5 cm complex ovarian cyst. I *recently* just found out that the cyst is inside the ovary which is normal... This whole time, I thought it was on top of the ovary meaning it would be an easy surgery. I understand the doctor has to tell me all the scary things to cover their butts, but I'm not sure what to expect. Dr. said that there is a 1% chance (for my age) that the cyst is cancerous which leads to the decision to remove the ovary. They won't know until they look at the cyst in the surgery. From the beginning, they told me that the cyst is complex, meaning it is solid and not fluid. But now they tell me that they don't know that for sure until they look at the actual cyst. If it is solid, there is a 10-15% chance of losing my ovary because it is too big to break down. Ladies, what should I be expecting? Is there a good reason for my anxiety at the moment? Do you relate and what was the outcome? Thanks!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You will be fine I had a 13 cm complex cyst removed in October last year. The doctor did a biopsy and everything was ok. I know it's a scary thing if they are not able to save the ovary the good thing is that you still have the 2nd one and will be able to have children if you like. I only had one ovary left at the time of my surgery due to an ectopic pregnancy when I was 25 and since then I had 2 healthy daughters.

So keep your head and spirits up. I will pray for you.

• Posted

13 cm?! I didn't even know that was possible. I'm not even sure why I'm crying over 5.5 cm cystcry Thank you so much for your input!. And thank you for the prayers <3

• Posted

Hi yelb19

I can relate to this. I was 19 too when I had an ovarian cyst. They thought it was my appendix because I was having the same nightmare pains from it. Well it wasn’t after been stuck in A&E all day I got admitted, into a ward.

It wasn’t until the morning that Dr Hassard examined me properly, and told me I had an ovarian cyst. He did say that he would try his best, not to take out my ovary. But after the operation they told me they had no choice. I was told that I was lucky it hadn’t turned cancerous.

Anyway my ovary was a mass with a 3lb cyst. So anyway. I was glad that had gone. I went on to have 3 children. It doesn’t make you any less of a woman. But it certainly saved my life.

You ovulate every other month I believe. But I didn’t find it difficult. Anyway all the best to you.

Big hugs 🤗 you will be fine. 

• Posted

Hi! When I went to the urgent care, they also thought it was appendicitis and sent me to the ER. These past four months have just been anxiety-inducing. Last Friday, they told me to wait another six months to see if the cyst will reduce. But I don't feel comfortable because this cyst already limits me and it's very painful and uncomfortable.

I can't believe your cyst was 3lbs... That's crazy. I'm glad to hear you had three children after. Thanks for reassuring me <3 I really appreciate it. 

• Posted

Hi last November I found out that I had a 7cm cyst and I didn't take it seriously as the pain was coming and going. But last July the pain came back and the pain meds don't work anymore. I had to rush to the hospital and found out that the cyst has grown to 10cm, and my CA blood test came back for 61. I lost my mother to breast cancer so this shocked me. On top of that my cyst is like yours complex and with chambers. I was super stressed but my doctor said it doesn't look like cancer to her. I had my laparoscopic on Aug 20. I had a deep severe endometriosis and my left tube was removed. My biopsy results all came back clear. I am now on my first Zoladex shot to shut off my ovaries and to shrink my endo as much as it can. Don't worry too much, many said the same to me but I keep worrying. Get the surgery done asap and you will be fine. Update us. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.