Hysterectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi ladies lve got my opp date for three weeks time, any tips or advice on said opp and recovery any input would be great thanks xxx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have posted my experience here if you would like to read it. I would say that stool softners and lots of fiber is something you should have right after surgery to reduce discomfort and of course lots of rest so your recovery is quick and you heal completely. Feel free to ask any questions. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi thanks so much for your post, this is so helpful and thankyou for your well wishes xx

• Posted

yes, i had a fab message from lovely lady who totally put my mind at rest. I had abdominal hysterectomy at 44 9wks ago and chose to keep ovaries. I was very tired pre op but tried to walk regularly and took all bran and seeds daily fortnight before op so bowels were regular. Also take all bran to hospital to hve for breakfast and i took liquid laxative as offered by nurses when in hosp and for a few days at home. Don't be alarmed when you wake up with inflating and deflating moon boots round your ankles! They help prevent clots and actually slept better with rythm

of them. Get yourself into routine 24hrs after surgery. I made myself get up and showered and sat up for breakfast then bk in bed and slept then got up and walked few paces then sat up for lunch etc. I got m&s elastic waist joggers to wear home. Tum was swollen for quite some time, comfort is key. When home i had set routine of brkfast, potter, nap, lunch, few laps of yard, nap etc...helps put day in. DRINK loads water!!! I still got uti due to catheter but got antibiotics and was grand. First few weeks were tough but grand, you'll get through it!!!! In no time at all you'll be living the dream...in white jeans!!! Ps ... if your tum swells, you're doing too much!!! BEST OF LUCK!!!!!! x

• Posted

i had my tvh in January with anterior repair snd it was uneventful!!

No.pain accept cramps for a couple if day like gas pains.

I drank peppermint tea which heloyef move gas alobe.

Movicol is your bext friend after this op,id stay awsy from laxative as tgey ate to aggressive on tbe bowel.movicol keeps you soft and with ease.

Swollen tummy for up to 5 months if you do too much and im 8 and half stone.

No lifting or bending for 12 wks as you will be at risk of prolapse if you strain.

Rest is key with gentle walks daily. I was amazed how quick.i recovered. Good luckx

• Posted

Thanks for your post l will bear that in mind and thanks fot the good luck wishes xx

• Posted

one more thing!

I would advise you buy belly warmer pants, they are a great support to the wound. Marks and spencers tencel ones are great as more breathable than the cotton ones which is good as you will get heat around your wound as the blood flows there to heal.

They also feel supportive when belly is swollen.

good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.